Attaching Fondant/gumpaste Bow To Side Of Cake?

Baking By SandraDee73 Updated 15 Jun 2016 , 7:08pm by SandraDee73

SandraDee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraDee73 Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 4

I've looked all over CC and I'm still not sure what to do.

I have bows that I made last night that will be going on a 3 tier buttercream cake. Based on the design there will be a fondant "ribbon" wrapped around the middle of each tier. Now I have the option of

A) wrap the fondant "ribbon" all the way around and attaching to the bow to this with melted chocolate (not sure if it will drag the whole "ribbon" down?)

or

B) wrap the fondant "ribbon" just to where the bow loops end and attaching the bow directly to the buttercream

I'm stuck and nervous these bows won't hold. And I'm doubly nervous about sticking a skewer into my bows which are probably already on the dry side.

Any ideas?

3 replies
SandraDee73 Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 4

And I'm delivering this cake about an hour away. Planning keeping it in the fridge right up until I leave.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 4

I'd use melted chocolate, that stuff dries like cement. If there's a way to wait to attach the bows until you get to the place you're setting it up that will take away some of your worry about them shifting, but as long as it's cold it will probably be okay.

SandraDee73 Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 4

@costumeczar ‍ that's what I normally do for fondant on fondant. Works like a charm. Just wasn't sure about fondant on buttercream or were do you think it would be best to put the bows on the fondant "ribbon"?
Hmmm...I wonder how I could get chocolate to stay melted? That would be ideal!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%