Cake Pricing

Baking By allgoodthings Updated 15 Jun 2016 , 11:31am by Marian64

allgoodthings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allgoodthings Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 21

[postimage id="4197" thumb="900"]Hello, I was approached by someone who saw one of the cakes I made for my children. They were insistent that they wanted my design. I've only bake for my children so they will have something special that I know we couldn't afford otherwise. Despite recommending other businesses in the area the person was insistent that I make the cake. The cake was three layer 8inch round fondant and buttercream with hand painted leopard hearts a fondant bow and the interior had leopard print as well. Recreating my cake is not an issue but I have not clue on how to price it! Even the fondant is made from scratch so it took quite some time to make. Helpful suggestions are welcome. Please don't be mean!! I'm not a professional; just a disabled stay at home mom.

20 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 21

She's insisting that you make it because she can't and she thinks it will be cheap since you don't do it as a business.

Add up all the ingredients and supplies, including paper towels and dish soap and gas for shopping, and estimate the amount of time it will take for everything. Be sure to include shopping and making the fondant.

Pay yourself well. Once you give her the total, she will probably decide to go with a grocery store cake. Don't back down from your price and for your own sake, learn to say NO.

jgifford Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 21

And that's an adorable cake! 

yjflores1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yjflores1 Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 21

Sounds like it might be 4 inch tall? I would charge No less than 60. :) add up all your ingredients and make sure your getting back what you invested then the time you invest it in aswell. 

allgoodthings Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 21

Thank you! 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 21

Quote by @yjflores1 on 3 minutes ago

Sounds like it might be 4 inch tall? I would charge No less than 60. :) add up all your ingredients and make sure your getting back what you invested then the time you invest it in aswell. 

If you'd charge $60 for that I'm going to buy it from you and resell it at a higher price!! For what that cake is and the time it took plus cost of materials etc I'd put it at $150 at least. 

My "don't charge less than what you're worth" stick of justice is available for giving people truth whacks so that you make a decent profit, haha! Coming to a town near you...

yjflores1 Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 21

I said no less than 60 not exactly 60 lol

allgoodthings Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 21

Thank you so much!! The interior is pink buttercream and leopard printed cake.

jgifford Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 21

I know a bunch that I'd like to whack with your "stick of justice " :) 

The going budget for a cake like this in this area is about $25.

No cake for any of you! 

yjflores1 Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 3:46pm
post #10 of 21

jgifford has a very good point ! good luck once you buy all the materials/ ingredients add them up till have a better idea on how Much to charge her and just because you don't sell these cake normally doesn't mean you have to lower your prices. You do a great job and love the leopard print !!

allgoodthings Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 21

WOW, $25 barely covers materials!

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 4:16pm
post #12 of 21

I'm with jgifford and costumeczar on this, $60.00 for this cake.....forget about it......

People think that they can get custom cakes from home bakers dirt cheap. They gush over our work, feed into our egos, you end up giving away a great cake and are left with  bitter taste of resentment. Call a bakery in your area, see what they would charge you for a cake like this.

costumeczar Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 4:52pm
post #13 of 21

Quote by @yjflores1 on 1 hour ago

I said no less than 60 not exactly 60 lol

Okay then, i won't whack you with my whacking stick.

costumeczar Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 4:53pm
post #14 of 21

Quote by @jgifford on 1 hour ago

I know a bunch that I'd like to whack with your "stick of justice " :) 

The going budget for a cake like this in this area is about $25.

No cake for any of you! 

$25??!!?!?  I think my stick would wear out...

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 7:16pm
post #15 of 21

Quote by @jgifford on 3 hours ago

She's insisting that you make it because she can't and she thinks it will be cheap since you don't do it as a business.

Add up all the ingredients and supplies, including paper towels and dish soap and gas for shopping, and estimate the amount of time it will take for everything. Be sure to include shopping and making the fondant.

Pay yourself well. Once you give her the total, she will probably decide to go with a grocery store cake. Don't back down from your price and for your own sake, learn to say NO.

YES!!! Your cake is gorgeous!!!

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 7:23pm
post #16 of 21

Offer her simple version of this cake: 8 inch, no leopard print inside, no fancy decorated board, iced with pink buttercream( not fondant covered), same fondant decorations including bow topper, for $100.00. See what she says. 

I am with costumeczar on this: definately between  $120-$150.00

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 8:15pm
post #17 of 21

slightly off topic but i am a hobby baker in the UK who has just got her first commission.  I have priced the ingredients and they total nearly £20 including the board, actual cake ingredients, fondant etc, and I guesstimated 4 hours labour which I have realised was too low but then I am considerably slower than a professional would be - for example I cut double letters out because my hands shake and I know I will break some when placing them on the cake.  This commission cake has a model man sat on the side - I have made 4 so far because either they were too fat or the faces too pig like!!! Not quite sure why I'm told you this because what I wanted to say was that I recently made a 2 tier engagement cake for my daughter which was a choc sponge on the bottom layer and a coffee & walnut on top and while I had an idea what it would have cost if I'd gone to a bakery I thought I would email a couple of places to find out - I had expected it to be between £60 and £75 but the quotes came back at £90 and £99.  So even as a person who makes cakes - OK not as a business - I was still surprised at the cost. And by the way, your cake is lovely.[postimage id="4202" thumb="900"]

allgoodthings Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 11:41pm
post #18 of 21

You made such a beautiful cake for your daughter!!!

allgoodthings Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 12:05am
post #19 of 21

I was diagnosed with MS several years back and as soon as I recovered enough to see myself in the mirror again and get out of that wheelchair I found a hobby. Baking, making cakes and special treats for my six children makes them happy & I love seeing my children smile. They have been thru so much! Due to my MS my vision comes and goes so  that's why I've never gone any further with my cakes. I just wanted to say thank you and that I appreciate everyone that has commenented and reached out today! I am humbled by your kindness! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 9:40am
post #20 of 21

allgoodthings -- I love your cake -- and the matching leopard print inside is over the top amazing -- I'm glad you're in remission enough or at least can hold your breath so to speak long enough -- to create such a beautiful compact, tiny but powerful work of love -- bravo

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 11:31am
post #21 of 21

I would agree with customerczar $150 minimum. That is a beautiful cake. 

You may not be a professional, but you do quality work and should get paid accordingly. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%