Attaching Real Succulents

Decorating By annakat444 Updated 12 Jun 2016 , 4:04pm by -K8memphis

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 12 Jun 2016 , 4:17am
post #1 of 4

Hi all! I'm doing a small wedding cake next weekend (6" and 8") and will be using real succulents on the cake. I've never worked with them before - Is there anything special I need to know about attaching them? They'll be resting on the bottom of each tier, offset. I'm thinking I'll have one big one and 2 small-ish ones (not really sure, will depend on what I'm given!) will they be fine if I just cut the stem off  and glue them there with extra buttercream?

Also, before anyone asks - I did offer to make gumpaste succulents but she wanted real ones ;) I will obviously make sure they're really clean before putting them on! 

Thanks!!

3 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Jun 2016 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 4

I'd insert a skewer into them, paint the back with white chocolate, then anchor them into the cake that way. The chocolate will give you a barrier between the plant and the cake and the skewers will keep them from falling off.

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 12 Jun 2016 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you! So I'm guessing the center of the succulent will be thick enough to put the skewer in?  Will it just be the tip or should it be able to go through pretty far? Thanks so much for the help!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2016 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 4

and there's this to determine in advance -- that second one would be beautifully dangerous on a cake

http://www.succulentsandsunshine.com/are-succulents-poisonous/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%