German Buttercream?

Baking By Natiflor09 Updated 9 Jun 2016 , 5:53pm by Natiflor09

Natiflor09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natiflor09 Posted 9 Jun 2016 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 5

I got this article in an email this morning and had never heard of it before. Has anyone ever made German Buttercream?

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2016/05/german-buttercream-recipe/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=The%20Craftsy%20Cake%20Decorating%20Blog&utm_content=Giveaway%21%20Win%20a%20Custom%20Mystery%20Box%20for%20You%20%2B%20a%20Friend&utm_term=Blog%20Post&skipMod=1

I'm thinking of trying it for cake fillings instead of pastry cream. I was in a craft fair last week and made this scrumptious vanilla cake with orange pastry cream and fresh strawberries...and it was kind of a disaster. All was perfectly fine until I pre sliced one or two slices to make packaging quicker and the transaction easier. Well the layers started falling over and the middle started looking a tres leches cake!! Big mess lol! Luckily the whole cake sold out and everyone was very happy..except me hahaha because I witnessed the whole thing. Now i remember why we always used sponge cakes with pastry cream fillings  ;-P

Anywhoo I'll probably get around to it in a week or two but was curious to know if anyone else has made this before and how you like it

4 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 9 Jun 2016 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 5

I am not a big fan of German/Bavarian buttercream because the custard contains raw egg yolks and is not very stable (okay as a filling though). But would not wanna take the risk of someone getting sick from salmonella :/

Natiflor09 Posted 9 Jun 2016 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 5

Huh..i must have misread. I was sure the egg yolks were cooked. Well regardless I'd probably adapt that part of the recipe to make sure they are cooked

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 9 Jun 2016 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 5

They are cooked to a custard or pastry cream. But as they are very sensitive to heat - and you don't want scrambled eggs - you can't heat them to a point where you can be sure that any salmonella bacteria is killed. 

Natiflor09 Posted 9 Jun 2016 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 5

Ok i just double checked. The egg yolks are cooked

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%