Buttercream Vs Ganache Under Fondant Cakes

Baking By dyasia87 Updated 1 Jun 2016 , 9:51pm by dyasia87

dyasia87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dyasia87 Posted 28 May 2016 , 2:14am
post #1 of 6

Hi guys!!! I wanted to know what do you prefer under your fondant cakes?? Buttercream or ganache, and why? Also I know chocolate doesn't go with everything so how does that work?? Also do you wait for the customer to request the ganache or you do it at your own risk?

5 replies
ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 29 May 2016 , 1:00am
post #2 of 6

Definitely prefer ganache as it gives a nice firm surface for covering with fondant.

If dark or milk chocolate doesn't go with your cake try white chocolate ganache (just remember you need to adjust the ratio use less cream for white choc ganache) it does have a lower melting point than dark choc though so probably not the best choice for the hottest of hot days in summer but then a lot of buttercreams don't like super hot weather either.

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 29 May 2016 , 1:09am
post #3 of 6

Sorry I forgot the last part of the question - Ganache is my default I only use buttercream if the customer specifically requests it but the customer signs off on the order and it says ganache on there they can change it if they want. I am in Australia and ganache it is pretty standard here for under fondant and most people love it.

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 6

I always use ganache under fondant.  When customers ask for buttercream it means buttercream filling and I put lots of it.  I do not even mention anything about ganache on the outside and to now I have had no comments about the ganache, nothing but compliments.

Nancylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylou Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 6

I do things the same way that ropalma does, I don't even mention it, although I do on my website.  I fill with the buttercream flavor(s) they request.  If I am using white chocolate ganache, I add a little almond extract or other complimentary flavoring to the ganache so it blends well with the overall flavor profile.

dyasia87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dyasia87 Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%