Ganache Sigh...

Decorating By Chloezee Updated 3 Jun 2016 , 6:24pm by gfbaby

Chloezee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chloezee Posted 19 May 2016 , 11:24am
post #1 of 13

Okay, so everyone's doing the hard ganache inside and on ouside of cake. We find it unpleasant. Especially on a delicious cake and you have to bite into that thick ganache, no matter how high quality the chocolate is. Now I always use butter ganache for inside. 

But I feel there MUST be easier ways to ganache a cake on outside for sharp edges. WHY cant one use a runny ganache and just wait for it to set? Then no scraping for hours?  I'm not giving up on this. I hate that thick ganache and something better can surely be done. I thought of having stainless rings made and just pouring in the cream/chocolate ganache (THIN) - leave in fridge, blow torch a tiny bit or use hot dish cloths to wipe around and surely it will come out exactly right? Especially if it's been poured in. Surely there wont be holes and what do they call it - tiny air bumps? 

But as for my lot, no more rock hard, flintstonian ganache inside and out. So what say ye all?

12 replies
amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 19 May 2016 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 13

I am not sure why your ganache is thick? Mine isn't any thicker on my cake than my buttercream.

Or are you referring to consisentcy?

when I ganache a cake I was finding it difficult too then a friend suggested I warm it just a bit in the microwave on the defrost setting. Then put it in my food processor. When I did this it did 3 things. It made it silky smooth! It added air so it was lighter tasting (like whipping it). The best part the consistency was easier to work with. It was softer. It takes me less time to ganache a cake now. No longer than buttercream cakes. Oh and I never use ganache as frosting and filling. I usually use it for one or the other. You can also add flavorings and extracts to your ganache. Typically if I use ganache for frosting I add buttercream for filling. I hope that helps! Good luck

Nancylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylou Posted 19 May 2016 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 13

I agree with Amyyoungblood, it shouldn't be any thicker than your buttercream would be.  I also warm it in the microwave - I use full power in 20 -30 second bursts depending on how much ganache I have ... and yes, runny ganache goes on much faster. 

As far as the hardness, it shouldn't be hard and snappy like a chocolate bar.  True, once it sets, it does feel pretty firm ... but it should still melt in your mouth like the inside of a truffle when you bite into it. 

Is the cake at room temperature when you serve it, or still chilled from the fridge?  Ganache should definitely be served at room temp.  

Brilliant idea about the stainless steal ring - let us know if it works.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 20 May 2016 , 2:49am
post #4 of 13

I too would never want to fill AND ice a cake with Ganache. I love Ganache but it is far too heavy for my liking to do both with.

The trick for me to really quick sharp edges is acrylic circles/squares. If you look up how to do that method and you like it then you can either buy yourself a set or have a set made up for you. Simple, quick and easy. Just make sure to line the acrylic that will be on the top of the cake with baking paper (attach it to your board with a little ganache around the edge so that it doesn't move but you can use something thin to break the seal as needed.

In answer to your first question, I imagine that you could use a poured ganache or mirror glaze while it was runny and get sharp edges BUT (and it's a big one) whatever you pour the ganache over MUST already have sharp edges, the sharp edges will not simply make themselves unfortunately :-)

Chloezee Posted 20 May 2016 , 7:08am
post #5 of 13

Sorry, I wasn't too clear. Didn't mean to say thick, meant to say HARD. So don't mind a thin hard layer outside for sharp edges but not hard AND thick and definitely not HARD inside the cake.  For that definitely shiny butter ganache. Just wondered if I could pour while still a bit runny into a metal mould. But I'm going to have those made in any case and try it. bit by bit so that it doesn't melt the underlayer completely. Will let you know. yikes.

Chloezee Posted 20 May 2016 , 7:09am
post #6 of 13

Hey, and thanx for the tip re the food processor that sounds fantastic. Am going to do that too. AND since it will be airy-er it will NOT melt my underlayer. Thank you so much for this.

Chloezee Posted 20 May 2016 , 7:11am
post #7 of 13

Oh I really didn't express myself well - I am so sorry folks. Mine IS like buttercream (at first) it's that hardening process and the much scraping afterwards that I detest. And once it's hardened in the final product - that's what nobody likes. Well outside it's okay, but not inside. Plus it takes sooo long on the turntable. Upside down, perspex you name it. still too much work

Chloezee Posted 20 May 2016 , 8:04am
post #8 of 13

I do that too - exactly so. I guess my gripe is the long turntable schpiel. I have the perspex rounds I do everything correctly. Was just hoping something better was out there already. This cream ganache I fill cakes with - i know people do it. but it really sets texturally too hard. For around the cake it's find.

sweetceces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetceces Posted 25 May 2016 , 3:16am
post #9 of 13

my ganache is easy to ice with, smooth and melts in your mouth. ive gotten lots of compliments on it. i use equal parts heavy cream and chocolate, most times its 16 oz of each and then i usually throw in an extra small handful of chocolate, scald my heavy cream pour it over my chocolate, and then my secret is 1 tb of butter and then 2 tb of honey. stir till melted together and put on the mixer on low speed and just let it do its thing while it cools. if i need it for icing a cake i let it set up a bit in the cooler and then ice with it and i get super sharp edges with my cakes. i have to make one this weekend actually and i can take a pic if youd like to see.

sweetceces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetceces Posted 25 May 2016 , 3:19am
post #10 of 13

that and i also use a putty knife for smoothing out my sides and top. works like a charm

gfbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gfbaby Posted 25 May 2016 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 13

I get what youre saying..but I'm wondering if the hardness couldn't be tempered (!) a bit by adding just a tad more cream? I use what we call whipping cream in uk- heavy cream is called double cream here and gives a much harder ganache due to the higher fat content. Also- I agree with the suggestion of adding a spoonful of honey / glucose / corn syrup along with some butter or cocoa butter. This will soften the end texture some. 

As for making the cake coating process simpler... how about using a loose bottomed cake tin, carefully Gproof the inside, drop the cake centrally into the tin and fill the gaps and cover top with ganache. When its set- release side lever, remove open outer ring and then peel paper off ganache. Minor repair work to ganache and the top to smooth over. Job done. 

Wodya reckon?

(ps I use the plates and it takes ages but I actually love doing it...!)

Chloezee Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 4:15pm
post #12 of 13

Now this sounds exactly perfect. did you take that pic? Sorry so late on the take. Cheers

gfbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gfbaby Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 6:24pm
post #13 of 13

Hey-I'm just the ideas guy...I'll let someone else be the tester!

Any volunteers?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%