Alcohol Cupcakes

Baking By kristykgs Updated 27 May 2016 , 5:15pm by Cakesbylea

kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 13 May 2016 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 25

Hey guys. I am wanting to start doing adult cupcakes - with liquor. I have some recipes I want to try, but what I am looking for are recipes using the pipettes of liquor.

Now, my gut and experience tells me to leave the alcohol out of the cupcake and just use the pipette of say rum. I am just wondering if anyone on here uses pipettes and if they could clarify that for me. 

I am not a drinker, so my taste buds would not serve as any amount of liquor would be too much for me.

24 replies
kristykgs Posted 13 May 2016 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 25

All the wonderful cake bakers in here and no one has any experience in this?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 13 May 2016 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 25

(If the search function works) ... There are some very good threads about this topic.

kristykgs Posted 13 May 2016 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 25

Thank MimiFix. I did do a search and all I was finding was the basic alcohol infused cupcakes. nothing with the pipettes. But I will keep searching

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 May 2016 , 12:15am
post #6 of 25

in this list are some discussions of flavors that might be helpful

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/query/liqueur

oh yeah -- this is importatn even if it is about strawberries

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/769945/boozy-berry-pricing

kristykgs Posted 14 May 2016 , 1:28am
post #7 of 25

Thanks K8memphis. I was actually curious about the alcohol permit. Will research that for my state. And Thank you for the other links. I actually found those, but it is not giving me what I'm looking for, unless I missed it - which is entirely possible. Eyes start to cross after so much reading... LOL.

I've got recipes and know what I want to do, but I want to start incorporating pipettes and wondering if I should leave alcohol out of the cake if using pipette with alcohol or leave it in the cake.

Oh well, I can always experiment. Since I don't like the taste of alcohol, I'm sure one of my friends would love to be a taste tester...hahahahaha.

kristykgs Posted 14 May 2016 , 1:30am
post #8 of 25

Well..I spoke to soon. One of the links did discuss what I was looking at. They said the alcohol cooks off, so they either use a pipette or brush it on.

GREAT INFO...thanks

-K8memphis Posted 14 May 2016 , 1:37pm
post #9 of 25

well also you probably saw that you do need to check into a liquor license if you put it in the pipettes -- not sure how that goes but you definitely need to check it out to stay safe -- 

and in actuality alcohol does not fully cook off -- a tiny amount might mostly cook off but no it doesn't really

https://www.craftybaking.com/howto/alcohol-burn-chart

-K8memphis Posted 14 May 2016 , 1:38pm
post #10 of 25

oh duh you said you were gonna check that regarding the license -- missed that post momentarily -- sorry

-K8memphis Posted 14 May 2016 , 1:47pm
post #11 of 25

fwiw my default liqueur is grand marnier -- it is ridiculous in a simple syrup splash on white cake -- then i usually use fruity fillings like strawberries encased in whipped cream and lemon berry -- and i use maker's mark and rum -- those are about my main three but always as a splash squirted/brushed on baked cake -- lot of alkies in my family so i do use it but i avoid any display of it kwim -- it's like vanilla which is also alcohol based right -- so... there's that too

but i love to use it in food -- bourbon salmon comes to mind --

i also have a southern comfort iced tea jelly sandwich cookie -- but i sometimes get into the flavored vodkas which i guess there is about every flavor out there now --the cinnamon flavored hootch i just can't deal with -- it's too dental tasting to me hahahaha

-K8memphis Posted 14 May 2016 , 1:53pm
post #12 of 25

but the alcohol takes the cake to a different taste level so i would add it even if i did a pipette -- when used correctly it's a very subtle flavor enhancement -- not at all a burn like the pipette will deliver -- so i would definitely use it in the cake if it was moi -- just did a german choc and used the maker's mark and you don't notice it distinctly -- just zips it up --

and for me i have to poke holes then brush it onto cupcakes -- if i use a squirt bottle i get it all over the place and have a sticky stick stick messy cupcake wrapper --

in my simple syrup i use it to taste --comes out about a quarter to one third alcohol --

best to you

...and those will be the best cupcakes stuck_out_tongue.png

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 14 May 2016 , 8:22pm
post #13 of 25

Bump just to bring real topics to the top.

MimiFix Posted 14 May 2016 , 8:59pm
post #14 of 25

Not pipettes, but liqueur related... My best selling cake was Kahlua, a chocolate delight with Kahlua buttercream. My blueberry muffins were made with Amaretto; I used the same batter for raspberry almond muffins. And I made a fabulous Brandy Alexander Fruitcake.

-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2016 , 12:49am
post #15 of 25

mimi-- i'd like to order two blueberry muffins for breakfast tomorrow...

-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2016 , 12:50am
post #16 of 25

well wait i'll go ahead and get a half dozen then freeze the extras smile.png

kristykgs Posted 15 May 2016 , 12:28pm
post #17 of 25

OH wow. Thank you all so much. Finally got a chance to get on here and answer. So much spam the last couple of days, I just kinda ignored this, giving the owners a chance to work through it.

Yes, i am with K8Memphis..I'll take some of the cupcakes...doesn't matter which ones..whatever you are making.. LOL grin.png.

Excited to start experimenting. 

MimiFix Posted 15 May 2016 , 12:58pm
post #18 of 25

Sorry ladies but there's a ten dozen minimum order, delivery not available, FDA rules forbid shipping across state lines. I usually hate those spammers, too. But one of them ordered muffins, I'm just waiting for pick-up.

-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2016 , 3:47pm
post #19 of 25

stuck_out_tongue.png

kristykgs Posted 15 May 2016 , 9:11pm
post #20 of 25

Aw man hate them rules...stupid FDA. bowtie.png (not sure what is under my cheesy smiling guy, but he is cute)

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 18 May 2016 , 6:08pm
post #21 of 25

I've used pipette in strawberries & cupcakes. To get around the liquor laws, I have the client purchase the booze and I insert the filled pipettes into the item. Then I am simply serving them their own alcohol - much like a BYOB restaurant.

I'd choose alcohols that have flavoring, such as coconut rum or cherry flavored vodka, etc. to add. Simply match up the flavor of your cupcake with the flavor of the alcohol the same way you match up buttercreams and fillings with cake flavors. The alcoholic part of it is just an added bonus :)   

kristykgs Posted 19 May 2016 , 1:22am
post #22 of 25

Thank you Hippiecac. I am going to look into all of this.

Cakesbylea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbylea Posted 27 May 2016 , 4:15pm
post #23 of 25

Thank you for the question, I am contemplating making some wine infused cupcakes and seeing if a local winery would be interested in selling them. I was going to use the pipettes and the winery could put a sample of their wine in them. I hope he will go for it.

kristykgs Posted 27 May 2016 , 4:20pm
post #24 of 25

That is a pretty cool idea Cakesbylea. If I had a winery close by, I would certainly look into it...well, a winery and a brick and mortar bakery. Louisiana doesn't allow us home bakers to sell to companies. But I'm sure I could figure out a way to do this..LOL

Cakesbylea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbylea Posted 27 May 2016 , 5:15pm
post #25 of 25

Quote by @kristykgs on 51 minutes ago

That is a pretty cool idea Cakesbylea. If I had a winery close by, I would certainly look into it...well, a winery and a brick and mortar bakery. Louisiana doesn't allow us home bakers to sell to companies. But I'm sure I could figure out a way to do this..LOL

I am a home baker too, and I think Georgia is the same. The winery may not go for it because of the liability.  But I'm going to try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%