Handbag Cake

Baking By arundhati.barua Updated 13 May 2016 , 5:14pm by gallopinggranny

arundhati.barua Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arundhati.barua Posted 11 May 2016 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 11

I've recently started cake decorating business from home. I'm having difficult time pricing my cakes because most of the people I know are not willing to spend that much money on a custom cake. I recently did a handbag cake for a friend. She just asked for a cake not particularly the one I made for her. I just wanted to practice. How much should I ideally charge for this cake?

10 replies
carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 13 May 2016 , 3:24am
post #2 of 11

A handbag cake is  a 3D cake and in my neck of the woods, start at $100. and go up depending on design, details etc. These kinds of cake are time consuming and require a level of skill, some would charge even more.

arundhati.barua Posted 13 May 2016 , 4:25am
post #3 of 11

For some reason I'm not able to upload images. So here's the link to my fb page where you can see the pink colored handbag cake...https://m.facebook.com/Not-just-a-Cake-238391893168519/

arundhati.barua Posted 13 May 2016 , 4:30am
post #4 of 11

Quote by @arundhati.barua on 3 minutes ago

For some reason I'm not able to upload images. So here's the link to my fb page where you can see the pink colored handbag cake...https://m.facebook.com/Not-just-a-Cake-238391893168519/

It used up almost an entire quarter sheet

gallopinggranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gallopinggranny Posted 13 May 2016 , 6:22am
post #5 of 11

The handbag cake is really well done. Can I make a suggestion? Don't ever use foil as a base for your cakes. It makes them look cheap and that you don't care. Always use cake boards covered in fondant or at the very least a paper that coordinates with the cake. I use 2 cakeboards covered in fondant and a smaller one glued to the bottom so you can get your fingers under it. Place a ribbon around the edge.

Watch this video..

it will help a lot.

arundhati.barua Posted 13 May 2016 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for your reply. I've just started as a cake decorator and people do not want to even pay $100 for cakes. That was the first cake order I got and I did it sooo cheap. Eventually I'm going to give my cakes a complete professional presentation if people are willing to pay.

One of my friend is thinking of ordering a sports car cake. I gave her a quote of $180 which is really low and I'm not making any profit out of it considering the amount of   in going to invest in it. There price made her think if she should order it only for 10 people

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 13 May 2016 , 1:51pm
post #7 of 11

I agree with everything gallopinggranny said. Your cake is beautiful, clean work and attention to details. There is a lot of information on this site regarding pricing. Use the search to find pricing for cakes,here is one.

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/708946/how-much-do-people-think-a-cake-costs-to-make/390

gallopinggranny Posted 13 May 2016 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 11

Cake boards and a miniscule amount of fondant to cover it will cost less than $5. If you want ?100 or $180 for a cake, then spend the $5 to make it look like you are the pro you want to be. Personally I wouldn't pay $50 for a cake on foil much less $180. I strongly suggest you watch that video I attached to my previous comment.  We're just trying to help you. Dressing your cakes is CHEAP (INEXPENSIVE ), foil is just plain CHEAP. If you can't afford  $5, then trace a circle on a scrap of cardboard and cover it in a scrap of the fondant you cut away from your cake. 

gallopinggranny Posted 13 May 2016 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 11

I also don't get it. You'll make it look professional when and if a customer pays what you're asking? That's not how it works.  You'll never be a professional cake decorator then. Im an amateur & self taught and I have always covered my boards.

arundhati.barua Posted 13 May 2016 , 5:05pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks for your comments. I'll do it for my next cake orders.

gallopinggranny Posted 13 May 2016 , 5:14pm
post #11 of 11

Good luck. We're just trying to help. We all want to see success. Happy baking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%