2 Tiered Cake Questions

Baking By suzie88 Updated 9 Apr 2016 , 2:32pm by krye1025

suzie88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie88 Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I have a few questions regarding a 2 tiered buttercream cake.  I'm doing my first big cake, the bottom will be a 12inch round, and the top an 8inch round, frosted in buttercream with fondant cut-outs added to the cake.  I have a few questions, and really would love any help I can get!  

Do I need to put the bottom layer on a cake drum?  And when I dowel the cake, the middle dowel goes through the drum on the bottom, correct?

When I stack the second tier, does it need to be sitting on its own separate cake board?  

Do i need to put support dowels in the 8inch cake, since its the top tier? 

And lastly, how would you deliver a 2 tiered cake?  In a cake box, or in a cardboard box, or something else? 

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm pretty nervous about it and really want to make sure I'm doing everything right! 

4 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 5

To help answer your questions:

Yes, the bottom cake needs to sit on either a drum, or a finished board.

If it is only a 2 tier cake, you do not need to run a center dowel. Just make sure that the cake is cold before delivery and there should be no sliding issues when transporting.

Yes, the second tier needs to sit on its own cake board, both tiers should be on a board the same size as the cake.

No, you do not put support dowels in the 8 inch tier if there is not another tier going on top.

I use moving boxes from any store to transport my cakes. Flip the box on the side so that the opening is facing you. Slide in a non slip pad, slide the cake in, and tape closed. I have also used storage containers flipped upside down....I prefer that, personally.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie88 Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 5

Thank You!!!

krye1025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krye1025 Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 5

I honestly would center dowel it just to be safe. I always would rather be safe than sorry, any time I make a tiered cake I dowel it. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%