Wedding Cake With Stablized Whipped Filling

Decorating By cjlpn Updated 4 Apr 2016 , 11:37pm by cjlpn

cjlpn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjlpn Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 3

I will be attempting a wedding cake for my son.  I really want to use the stablized whipped cream recipe that has cream cheese in it for the filling of the three tiered cake. I have done reshearch within this site, so I understand I would need to use dowels for support and provide an edge of frosting before adding the filling. My concern is that the  filling might lose it's volume or cause the cake to slide. I also plan to use sugar lace on the cake and would like advice on when to apply it to the cake. The wedding is on Friday and I would like to bake the cakes on Tuesday and decorate on Wednesday since I will need the remaining days to get the  wedding venue decorated. Would the timing be ok for this filling to hold up? If not, does any one have a suggestion on a not so sweet filling other than fruit or lemon curd?

2 replies
oftheeicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oftheeicing Posted 4 Apr 2016 , 2:10am
post #2 of 3

Personally, as a small home-based business, I will only do a cream cheese icing that has been approved by the Dept. of Ag. and deemed not perishable, and in addition, will only use it on cupcakes or cakes that I can decorate in minimal time and refrigerate until pick-up or delivery because it tends to lose stability (i.e., melt) when left at room temperature for even short periods.  As far as whipped cream goes, I will only make and serve it to my family and even then, it's just a thrown-together small cake.   Since separately, whipped cream and cream cheese frostings melt quickly even when stabilized and have the ability to grow microorganisms at room temperature in a very short period of time, I would stay away from it, especially for a wedding or any big event where the cake is going to not only take hours at room temperature to decorate, but also sit out for hours at the reception.   For fillings, I offer a variety of fruits, or any flavor of buttercream that you can imagine.... Irish Cream, Raspberry, Peanut Butter, Chocolate, lemon, salted caramel, maple bacon, etc..  I wish you luck in whatever you choose!  Congratulations to your son on his big day!

cjlpn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjlpn Posted 4 Apr 2016 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you for the advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%