Does Anyone Have A Great Funfetti Cake Recipe?? I've Tried So Many!

Baking By kelscraftycakes Updated 3 Apr 2016 , 10:22pm by kelscraftycakes

kelscraftycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelscraftycakes Posted 28 Mar 2016 , 1:22am
post #1 of 9

Hello All,

Does anyone have  a great moist not too sweet funfetti cake recipe that they wouldn't mind sharing? I've tried making so many different recipes and they either taste really dry or way too sweet. I'm making my brother's wedding cake in May and I'm running out of time! His fiance requested funfetti and I don't want to resort to using a box mix. Please HELP!

Thank you!

8 replies
sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 28 Mar 2016 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 9

Why don't you use a doctored WASC cake recipe and a) try with white cake and add your own sprinkles or b) use a funfetti cake mix but still add some extra sprinkles.  d I love the WASC cake for wedding cake,  It has enough body and flavor, be sure to WASC the funfetti mix

CatPoet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatPoet Posted 28 Mar 2016 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 9

Oh I was hoping for a  recipe for  a funfetticake too, they are always way too sweet and I cant get box mixes.

annagon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annagon Posted 28 Mar 2016 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 9

Just find a white cake recipe you like and add sprinkles.  You may need to toss the sprinkles in flour so they don't sink to the bottom, but they don't affect the cake otherwise.

sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 28 Mar 2016 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 9

I cannot find a scratch white/vanilla cake that I like.  The only one that people seem to love is the WASC cake.  I had a wedding cake over the weekend and they wanted a confetti cake.  I ended up using the WASC cake but I omitted the almond and doubled the vanilla.  I added 1 1/4 cups of sprinkles to the full WASC recipe (2 box mixes).  The most perfect sprinkies I found were of all places, Walmart grocery.  They were in a tub by the brand Dallies.  Perfect colors and a great price.  Much better than a specialty store or in the small cylanders.  Side note - a really good recipe is from Milk Bar but it has lots of other components that don't go with a wedding cake. It also and calls for grapeseed oil and it wasn't practical from a cost standpoint.  It calls for clear vanilla to give it that childhood remembered taste.  Check it out.

sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 28 Mar 2016 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 9

PS - don't add the sprinkles to the flour - you will end up overmixing them and discoloring the batter.  Add them at the very end and fold in by hand.

martabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martabell Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 9

kelscraftycakes,

I can give you 3 different links for funfetti cakes.  I have used all 3 at one time or another with great results.  I don't like too sweet a cake either, so I usually cut back on sugar either scant to about 1/4 -1/2 cup less depending on how much sugar the recipe may call for.  After all, you figure with the addition of sprinkles in the batter (which is all sugar), who needs to make it any sweeter?  I also use whipping cream with mascarpone cheese for stabilizing my frosting since that is not sickening sweet either.  I always get such wonderful compliments on my funfetti cakes and there is never any left over.  

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2015/05/27/funfetti-layer-cake/

http://food52.com/recipes/30792-funfetti-cake

http://www.browneyedbaker.com/homemade-funfetti-cupcakes-from-scratch/?m

annagon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annagon Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 9

I just remembered, I made these a while ago and they were great:   http://sweetapolita.com/2012/02/funfetti-layer-cake-with-whipped-vanilla-frosting/. They domed nicely and had wonderful texture. They're weren't too dense or too light. The cake held up to the sprinkles well. 

kelscraftycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelscraftycakes Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 10:22pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%