Soggy/wet White Chocolate Mud Cake Disaster

Baking By tessholly1 Updated 12 Apr 2016 , 3:14am by minnier67

tessholly1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tessholly1 Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 9

So I just attempted my 1st ever mud cake recipe. It was white chocolate and a recipe I found online, there wasn't much choice as I'm in the UK and most recipes I found were either American or Australian but from what Iv seen and read I thought mud cake was an easy go-to recipe for yummy cake?! 

Anyway I baked it a little longer then the recipe said as I used baking strips. The top rose into a sugary crispy crust bubble and after breaking that off the actually cake seemed to have baked well. Even when I layered and filled it, it seemed OK.. I read it should be dense and moist but the layers weren't as sturdy as I'd hoped. Anyway it wasn't until I cut myself a slice (this was a test cake for an order next month) and had a bite that I realised how soggy and wet it was and it didn't taste anything like white chocolate either!! Where did I go wrong? I don't know if it's not cooked fully or it is but it's just gone soggy or it's a bad recipe?! As I said I have a cake order next month and they'd like white chocolate mud cake so I need to find how to fix this!! Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

8 replies
kramersl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kramersl Posted 25 Mar 2016 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 9

Do you have the link to the recipe?

Without seeing the recipe it sounds like your oven may be too hot and the cake is undercooked. What could have happened is the top cooked first and formed a crust so your cake was unable to rise much. You may have to decrease the temperature and put foil over the layers about halfway through to prevent the top from browning too much. 

tessholly1 Posted 25 Mar 2016 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you for replying, that makes a lot of sense so maybe I should try the recipe again on a lower temp.. My oven can be fussy sometimes with how hot it gets (it's old!!) Anyway this is the recipe link, I would love to hear what you think of it :)

http://www.thepinkwhisk.co.uk/2013/06/white-chocolate-mud-cake.html

kramersl Posted 25 Mar 2016 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 9

Yeah, that is not a good recipe; the ratios are off and it would need quite a lot of tweaking to get it to work. The ratios of structure ingredients (eggs and flour) are not what they should be to the amount of tenderizing ingredients (fat, sugar and eggs (eggs are both for structure and to tenderize/moisten)). Also, there isn't enough liquid for the amount of sugar in the recipe. You can tell the by the photos of her baked cake that (it looks fallen/sunken) that the cake would be a little too moist, even for a mud cake. 

This would be a much better recipe to try… http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/37779/white+chocolate+mud+cake

tessholly1 Posted 25 Mar 2016 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 9

Wow, that's great to know!! And thank you for the recipe link, the problem is that the recipe asks for cups and as its an Australian recipe, I assume the cup sizes are different to UK cups and I don't know how to change convert them?! 

kramersl Posted 25 Mar 2016 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 9

To my knowledge the cup sizes in Australia are the same as UK cup measurements. When I lived in South Africa I used the cups I bought there (1 cup was 250ml) and successfully made recipes from Aussie and UK blogs without changing a thing. 

tessholly1 Posted 25 Mar 2016 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 9

Fantastic, thank you so much for your help.. I really appreciate it!! I will be trying out that new recipe first thing tomorrow :)

kramersl Posted 25 Mar 2016 , 10:39pm
post #8 of 9

You're welcome. Let me know how it goes! Mud cakes can be finicky and can take a long time to cook. I actually find that they are at their best after they have rested about 3 days, which makes them the perfect cake to bake if you need to do it in advance!

minnier67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minnier67 Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 3:14am
post #9 of 9

This is also a wonderful white chocolate mud cake recipe: https://planetcake.com.au/recipes/white-chocolate-mud-cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%