Cookie Decorating- Fondant Or Royal Icing?

Decorating By HajraK Updated 23 Mar 2016 , 1:40pm by ypierce82

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 3

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted your opinion on something:

I have a community event coming up where I will be decorating many cookies and can decorate them using whatever I want, whether it's fondant or royal icing. Now I have never decorated cookies using fondant and want to know, what do you prefer taste-wise on your cookies: Fondant or royal icing? Fondant would definitely save time but I have had one person tell me they don't like the taste of fondant on cookies BUT that's just one person. I'd like to get more people's opinion before I decide whether to do them all in royal icing or do some with fondant (I have both the Wilton and Dream Choco Pan premade fondant if that helps any).

Thanks!

2 replies
bluefox1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluefox1394 Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 3

If you decide to go with fondant, I recommend using a buttercream underneath and whomever doesn't like the fondant can discard it and just eat the buttercream (better flavor than royal or fondant IMO). 

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 3

I use both on my cookies, but I use homemade fondant, it has a much better taste. Butter cream may taste better, but you can't do with butter cream what you can with fondant or royal. Fondant makes it easier since there is no drying time. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%