Best Brand Of Fondant For Fondant?

Decorating By ibonnie Updated 17 Mar 2016 , 3:23pm by carolinecakes

ibonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibonnie Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 6:21am
post #1 of 8

Hi -

I'm responsible for making 1,000 fondant roses for a non-profit group I volunteer for - an event for underprivileged kids. I will have help with this project, of course. Oh - and the fondant rose will be on a round cookie iced with  a simple royal icing.

I'm wondering what the best brand of fondant is for roses.  I know a lot of people use Wilton, but I've seen Satin Ice at a much better price for large quantities.  If we can't get the fondant donated, price will be a consideration.  However, I don't want to use a brand that won't produce a good rose or taste overly yucky.

I tried making MM fondant, but found it way too soft to hold the petal shapes very well. I'm wondering if the same is true for home made regular fondant.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Bonnie

7 replies
carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 8

There are a lot of brands out there and everyone has their own preference, as a hobby baker/decorator I have used Satin Ice which tastes pretty good. But once I tried MFF recipe I never buy fondant anymore. Its easy to work with, tastes yummy, and its more economical to make it yourself. Here's the link

http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7432/michele-fosters-updated-fondant

That's a lot of flowers, glad you have help, since you will be making these ahead of time, how you store them is important. Here's a link that I found helpful.

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/03/how-to-store-fondant-and-gum-paste-flowers/

ibonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibonnie Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for your response.  The MMF definitely tasted good, and I can see where it would be good on a cake, but have you actually made roses with it?  I can try again and add some more powdered sugar or cornstarch to make it less soft if you think it would help.

Bonnie

GeminiBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiBaker Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 8

I use cake craft brand

carolinecakes Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 8

MMF ( Mashmallow Fondant) is  not the same as MFF ( Michelle Fosters Fondant). I make my flowers using this fondant with a little tylose powder added. You could add tylose powder to any fondant, it helps it to firm up/harden when dry. But I'm thinking that since your flowers are for cookies, which means they will be eaten, you don't want them too hard. So I would just sprinkle a little of the tylose and knead it into the MFF, play with it until you get the texture you want.

Here is link to my flowers adding the tylose to the fondant turns it into gumpaste, so I would use very little for your flowers so they don't come out to hard. I have never used MMF but homemade fondant is generally softer than store bought, so I let it sit (10-15 mins) out a while before I work with it.  If you don't want to use the tylose I would suggest you knead in more powdered sugar into the fondant.  Try the MMF , its a game changer.

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3341309/first-communion-cake

carolinecakes Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 8

Sorry typo .....should say .... Try MFF .....

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 8

I couldn't get MMF to turn out good either.  I also use MFF (MIchele Foster Fondant) as Carolinecakes does.  It is so easy to modify - use a little less powdered sugar for a softer consistency, more for a firmer consistency.  Lots of variations on flavors, too.

carolinecakes Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 8

Sorry typo......should read..... Try MFF (MICHELLE FOSTERS FONDANT)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%