Gold (Poured Effect) - - What Was Used?

Decorating By mistypup Updated 11 Mar 2016 , 8:16pm by maybenot

mistypup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistypup Posted 10 Mar 2016 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 16

Any ideas on what was used to make this gold poured effect shown in the photo?  Someone sent this photo to me, so I'm sorry I can't give credit to the original designer (since I don't know who made this cake).  But the gold looks like it was poured on (not painted), so I'm curious how this was done.  Thanks for your help![postimage id="2927" thumb="900"]

15 replies
karmen.wong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmen.wong Posted 10 Mar 2016 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 16

I would also like to know this  :)

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 10 Mar 2016 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 16

I think it's pourable white ganache that's painted gold once it has set firm.

FlourPots Posted 10 Mar 2016 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 16

FlourPots Posted 10 Mar 2016 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 16

mistypup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistypup Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 12:48am
post #6 of 16

FlourPots - - - Thanks for linking the great videos!  I know the photo I sent earlier is blurry, but to me it just doesn't look like it was painted.  It seems like the medium they used to pour on the cake was gold to start with.

So then I started to wonder if DECOgel could be colored gold?????  I've never used DECOgel before, so I emailed them to ask the same question.  I'll be happy to post their reply here.  That's my best guess - - - does anyone have any other guesses for a gold pourable cake medium?  Thanks again!

FlourPots Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 3:59am
post #7 of 16

I looked for the original pic to see it clearer

https://www.instagram.com/p/91WOiolX33/

Here's another, just like it

https://www.instagram.com/p/-aX75jlX2t/

I don't know...I still think it's painted gold.

They're not replying to questions...I wish they would...now I'm so curious!

Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 4:38am
post #8 of 16

This gold was definitelypainted on. Look at the short drops on the left side of the dske. You can see that the edges aren't painted but are still what could be melted white chocolate or almond bark candy coating. The color looks like antique gold luster dust, brushed on dry or possibly mixed with vodka or lemon extract. It would be easy to do. Good luck!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 5:15am
post #9 of 16

I've never tasted Decogel, but I think I'd prefer chocolate or ganache--LOL

Painted with an EDIBLE gold luster dust, it would be great.  Chocolate takes dry dusting very well.  I'd use yellow candy melts.

Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 5:57am
post #10 of 16

Agree with May. Even if you can put gold into deco gel, it doesn't taste as good as melts or white chocolate w a little cream to loosen to pour able consistency. The gold over even dried royal is lovely. And easy. 

kayra850 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayra850 Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 8:02am
post #11 of 16

Can it be that edible gold luster is mixed with gelatine and - or with something else like glucose and the poured over cake? some technik like mirror glaze?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 11:06am
post #12 of 16

another vote for painted on is because the amount of dust needed to  saturate an icing would be vast (wouldn't it?) and if it was gel it would be shinier/clearer

maybenot Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 2:46pm
post #13 of 16

Quote by @kayra850 on 6 hours ago

Can it be that edible gold luster is mixed with gelatine and - or with something else like glucose and the poured over cake? some technik like mirror glaze?

Like K8 says, it would take a ton of dust and it wouldn't necessarily hold well on the sides of the cake.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 3:24pm
post #14 of 16

I enlarged the photo and it's painted on...See the brush marks on top and the white edges under the drips? Paint. Also, you wouldn't get that shiny a color if it was mixed in. The metallic paints have to sit on top of whatever it is to be reflective, so they don't work the same if you mix them in.[postimage id="2939" thumb="900"]

Chelle43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chelle43 Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 3:57pm
post #15 of 16

I just saw a youtube video on the gold drip, check it out it's called Heart of Gold Drip Cake Tutorial by Artisan Cake Company.

maybenot Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 8:16pm
post #16 of 16

Quote by @Chelle43 on 4 hours ago

I just saw a youtube video on the gold drip, check it out it's called Heart of Gold Drip Cake Tutorial by Artisan Cake Company.

There are techniques in the video that are helpful, but please be aware: 

The Rolkem Gold dust used is NOT EDIBLE in the US.  The gold ingredient [E175] is not an FDA approved food/color additive.  This brand of gold dust is akin to highlighter dust, which is not edible.

There are plenty of other edible options using FDA certified luster dusts [dry dusted or mixed with high quality lemon extract or clear drinking alcohol like Everclear, vodka, or gin] or edible gold airbrush liquid.  You can buy edible gold spray and spray it into a container, too, but you may need to add some alcohol as you work if it begins to dry out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%