How To Price For Cobblers?

Baking By 4laynes Updated 10 Mar 2016 , 5:03am by Webake2gether

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 5

I've been asked to give an estimate for a peach, apple and blackberry cobbler in addition to a wedding cake.  How do you price pies and cobblers???

4 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 9 Mar 2016 , 2:18am
post #2 of 5

Paging @Webake2gether ‍!!! She makes the most yummy looking pies grinning.png

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 9 Mar 2016 , 3:26am
post #3 of 5

Well thank you @Pastrybaglady ‍ the credit is mostly all Jason's ;)

I use the same pricing for pies that I do for cakes. Some pies cost so much to make that they aren't worth even trying to make for profit. I actually don't have a set price for fruit pies mainly bc the cost of fresh fruit fluctuates so much here that it's not reliable enough to have a set price. Also availability can sometimes become an issue as well. it usually takes me about an hour to make my crust, filling and clean up so it's generally an hours worth of labor. Because I don't crank out 25 or more pies a day I don't buy fruits in bulk (fresh or frozen) so they tend to cost more to make. you can really lose money if your not careful with pies. 

How do you figure out your pricing on cakes?

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 9 Mar 2016 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 5

$2.50 per serving for basic cake and border.  Fondant accents, gumpaste flowers, lace, etc are extra.  Any idea how many servings are in a 9x13 cobbler?  I've never looked at it as servings, I just grab a big spoon and eat it!  stuck_out_tongue.png

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 10 Mar 2016 , 5:03am
post #5 of 5

Hmmm very good question as cobblers are grab a spoon and see who gets the most here too lol. I've never actually ever served it by a serving guide.

However I did just do a quick search of apple cobbler recipes and this one is made in a 9x13 pan and serves 10. I'm sure your recipe will be different but maybe it's a step in the right direction. Without plugging in the specifics of a recipe and seeing what the total cost to make it is I can't really even begin to set a price. Sorry if I was of no help 

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12107/peach-cobbler-i/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%