How Can You Attach Fondant Designs To A Buttercream Cake?

Decorating By sewsugarqueen Updated 7 Mar 2016 , 4:20am by sewsugarqueen

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 5 Mar 2016 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 3

OK, just had surgery last week and I am really brain dead as to remembering things right now.  I know I read in past about fondant designs used on buttercream but how?  My sister wants black silhouettes of Peter Pan on a cake .  Thought I would make the cake but looks like I have to have some more minor treatment.  So I thought I would make the silhouettes out of black fondant and mail it to her.  She can make a buttercream cake and slap them on.

1)  Do I have to coat the back of silhouettes so they don"t melt from moisture of buttercream?

2)  or can I make the mixture 50% fondant and 50% gum paste so it will dry rock hard and will that be ok on buttercream.
My 3rd idea was to make designs completely out of black gumpaste...just don't want this to bleed on cake.  
Hope My questions make sense.  I feel so bad I am going to miss the baby shower just want to help out with what I can do.
Thanks to all who can give me some advice.

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Mar 2016 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 3

i like the idea of the 50/50 because it will probably handle well in the mail -- i'd make it a nice thickness -- if the color is kneaded in as opposed to being painted on it should do fine on buttercream and not bleed -- of course coating them is extra insurance if you can be sure the coating won't melt in the mail --

and mostly i wanted to say hope you are doing much better real soon --

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 4:20am
post #3 of 3

I thought  the 50/50 might work... and will knead in the colour.  Thanks so much for the good thoughts just starting to feel better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%