Does Anyone Know How To Make These Buttercream Flowers?

Decorating By carolinecakes Updated 2 Mar 2016 , 12:21am by Apti

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 5:00am
post #1 of 11

What tips do you use to make these?  They look like buttercream to me. Is it ABC or SMBC ?

Buttercream Flower Cake by We Cake:

10 replies
carolinecakes Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 11

Anyone??

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 11

I'm not sure those tulips are bc. I think there gumpaste/fondant, with bc piped accents. By enlarging the picture, it's my best guess.

Hope this helps.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 11

It's buttercream, most likely SMBC, but you can also use American buttercream.  There is a cake shop that sells a tutorial on these types of flowers:  http://whiteflowercake.com/  

There is also a looooong thread  here on CakeCentral, 

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/744735/white-flower-cake-shoppe-signature-flower

Apti Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 11

You may also wish to learn the technique from my cake school . com (eliminate the spaces).  Here is a link with spaces so it doesn't get blocked:  http://www.mycakeschool.com/video-tutorials/frosting-flowersvideo-tutorial/

Apti Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 11

ok...the my cake school link seemed to post ok without spaces.  Anyway, this is a wonderful site and a tremendous value at $30 for a year long membership.  I got the membership as a gift last year from a friend. 

Apti Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 11

well....my second post just disappeared.....  ok, here it is again  (sheesh....!)  there is a $30 membership fee for one year for the my cake school version of the tutorial, but it is a terrific value.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 11

Apti

You have better eyes than me...guess you could see the whole bouquet was piped  buttercream.

I too belong to mycakeschool.com. For me, being Canadian, I pay roughly $40 & change. But totally worth it. I've belonged for 5 years. Melissa is a terrific teacher, and if you ever have a question about a technique, cake, post etc., she will contact you and help you out. Melissa has helped me out a several times...

Apti Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 11:41pm
post #9 of 11

jchuck~~I was surprised at how much value you got for the $30 membership fee.  My cake friends on the old Wilton forum talked it up for years before I finally asked for it for a gift.  I'd sign up again, but my old XP computer won't let me view anything that requires Adobe or Acrobat and I have no idea how to fix it without resorting to insane rants and violence (I've tried everything else in my pitiful computer "how to fix it" repertoire...)

Warning:  Whine Alert:  I miss my Wilton forum SO much!  All that information and all those friends lost since they screwed up the discussion forums.   Now CC is so buggy it's barely useable.  Poor, poor, me.....  Now I may actually have to bake and frost some cakes instead of just reading about baking and frosting some cakes.

carolinecakes Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks everyone. I've been spending too much time on pinterest lately and these buttercream flowers have awed me. I have done fondant and gumpaste flowers, and finally tried Royal Icing roses.  My piping skills are sadly lacking, so I need a lot of practice.

@Apti   That annual membership looks like a good value for the price. Thanks for the info and the link to the thread.

CC has been acting up for me too, it shows I have alerts but when I click on it, it shows no alerts. I have to go to the forum to get access. oh well....

Still  CC is my go to place, everyone is always so helpful.

Apti Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 12:21am
post #11 of 11

carolinescakes~~pinterest, shminterest....   Here's the good stuff:

http://theoatmeal.com/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%