Licensed Edible Images

Sugar Work By LeahKoch Updated 18 Feb 2016 , 10:38pm by costumeczar

LeahKoch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeahKoch Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 2

I've recently purchased a Canon Pixma printer for edible images. I was wondering where I can get access to licensed edible images for resale. I wanted to open an Etsy shop to expand my home based business along with using them on cakes for my clients . The problem with DecoPac is that they require you to purchase their printing system. Are there any other companies? 

1 reply
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 2

You'd have to go through each company to get licensing if you don't use DecoPac. There are tons of people on Etsy who sell illegally-produced images, and their shops are reported and taken down on a regular basis. One guy was sued by Disney after reproducing Disney and Marvel images for icing sheets, so just because people are selling them on there doesn't mean it's legal. DecoPac pays for the license with what I assume is the right for the person who buys from them to sell the image the way they have it set up. It's my understanding that they require that you sell the cake with the image, or the image itself, exactly as they sell it to you with no alterations, which is probably why they make you use their system. That's part of the license that they have with the copyright holder. 

I sell on Etsy and there are a lot of illegal sellers, but there are also plenty of people who turn them in, so unless you have a license, don't do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%