Pvc Safe For Cake Structure?

Decorating By FrostedMoon Updated 4 Feb 2016 , 2:28am by FrostedMoon

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 1:15am
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I'm working on my first cake with a fixed internal structure.  I've done the research and it seems like whether PVC is food safe or not is a mixed bag.  I want to avoid using chocolate to cover the PVC pipe, so I was thinking of carefully wrapping saran wrap around it.  Do I need to do that though?  Sure would be easier just to sanitize the whole thing!  The pipe I have is used for potable cold water lines, wouldn't that have to be food safe?

Thanks in advance!

3 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 2:23am
post #2 of 4

As I understand it, the inside of the pipe that carries water is safe. The outside of the pipe is not and shouldn't be touching food. Sanitizing may not stop the pipe from leeching chemicals. There was a thread a few years ago that has more details. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 2:24am
post #3 of 4

The inside of it would be food-safe but I've never seen a definitive answer about the outside of them and how they're handled or coated with whatever chemicals they use. I'd definitely wrap it with something if it's going to be touching the cake.

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 2:28am
post #4 of 4

Good point!  Didn't think about something being different on the outside than the inside.  I will wrap it for sure.  Thank you both for the responses!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%