Freezing And Decorating

Baking By FoodAllergyRPH Updated 27 Jan 2016 , 11:59pm by -K8memphis

FoodAllergyRPH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FoodAllergyRPH Posted 24 Jan 2016 , 5:41am
post #1 of 5

Hello! 

Here is my issue. I only bake 2-3 cakes per year and that's only because my son has severe food allergies to egg, soy, peanuts and tree nuts. I really need to make in advance  because I just can't get everything finished in a day due to work. I have read that the cakes can be frozen and thawed but I  am a little confused about how. 

Does each cake get wrapped in several layers of plastic wrap?  After completely cooled correct or it would become mushy and encourage bacteria growth? 

How long can you leave it frozen without compromising taste?

Can layers be frozen with filling between them?

Thaw overnight? 

Can any decorating be done before freezing? 

I do get ambitious with the cakes because I want the kids to have awesome cakes (like you all make) but sadly with just my skills or lack there of really.  Any tips or tricks would be much appreciated!!  

Last year my son asked for a pirate ship with a kracken attacking it!!! I did my best and I think it turned out ok but I was afraid to have anyone eat it because it took me days to make it! 

This year he wants some kind of Star Wars theme. 

Thanks in advance!

Tiffany

4 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 24 Jan 2016 , 8:58am
post #2 of 5

I have COPD (shortness of breath) and have to pace myself when baking a larger, or more detailed project.   My freezer is my best friend!  Typically, I'll follow this pattern:

Bake the cakes.  Remove cakes from pan after 10-15 minutes.  Let cakes cook completely on a cooling rack.    When completely cool (2 hours or more), put a piece of cardboard the exact size/shape  of the cake (example:  8" round with 8" round cardboard cake circle) on the bottom of the cake.  [The cardboard will help to keep the cake from breaking and will make the layer easier to handle.]  Wrap the cake and cardboard in plastic wrap and wrap again in heavy duty aluminum foil.  Write cake info with Sharpie on the foil (date, flavor).  Put in freezer.  [I do not put anything on top of my cake layers until they are frozen solid.]

Make the buttercream and/or filling and/or ganache.  Put in freezer safe container.  Label.  Freeze.

Any fondant/gum paste figures/flowers are made weeks ahead of the due date and placed in a NON-air tight cardboard box (like a pink bakery box).

Any chocolate or modeling chocolate figures/flowers are made at least 2 weeks ahead and stored in a non-air tight cardboard box.

If you are using buttercream flowers, those can also be made ahead and frozen on parchment.  Tupperware or Rubbermaid containers work well for these since you will need a rigid container so the flowers don't get squished.

Cakes and frosting can be frozen up to a month with absolutely no problems.  (It's actually possible to freeze for much longer depending on the freezer, ingredients, etc.) 

I personally take my buttercream and filling and/or ganache out the night before or at least 3 hours before I will begin working on the finished cake.    Do NOT remove the plastic wrap and aluminum foil until cooled so any condensation will form on the wrapping, NOT the cake.  Many people like to work with "cool" or "frozen" cakes, but I just work with room temperature cake/frosting/filling/ganache. 

On the day before delivery, gather everything needed to finish decorating the cake. 

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 24 Jan 2016 , 11:58am
post #3 of 5

I freeze all of my cakes, even if just overnight as I think it keeps them moist.  It is a personal preference but I let mine cool in the pan about 10 minutes, then turn them out onto cardboard and cover them in several layers of saran wrap right away (being careful not to flatten the corners).  You will see the steam trapped in the saran wrap.  I think this is what keeps the moisture in.  Bacteria isn't going to grow in the freezer so it isn't a concern and in no way does the cake get mushy.  It's like you just baked it fresh.

I do let the cakes thaw while keeping them wrapped and usually until they come to room temperature but I'm not sure that is necessary.  If I am going to torte the layers I will do it while they are still cold as they are easier to handle that way.  I've also seen many people say they freeze layers with filling.  Experiment and see what works best for you and y 

FoodAllergyRPH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FoodAllergyRPH Posted 27 Jan 2016 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you both sooo much. I really appreciate the time you took to explain everything. This makes me feel much more confident about actually letting people eat after all that effort and time decorating! 

I I wish there was a person that specialized  in these difficult diets in my area. Someone that understood the severity of the problem! I would gladly pay for a cake if I had confidence in the person making the cake (ie no cross contamination etc)

thanks again! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Jan 2016 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 5

i just wanted to toss out this recipe -- i think it meets your criteria -- the product 'just mayo' is egg free -- and this is a nice cake

https://www.hamptoncreek.com/just-mayo/recipes/chocolatechocolate

ingredients in the recipe:

flour, baking soda/powder, sugar, cocoa powder, Just Mayo, vanilla

and ingredients in just mayo: 

Canola Oil, Water, Chipotle Puree (chipotle, water, citric acid), 2% or less of the following: White VinegarOrganic Sugar, Salt, Red Pepper Sauce (distilled vinegar, red pepper, salt), Pea Protein, Spices, GarlicModified Food Starch, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Fruit and Vegetable Juice (color), Calcium Disodium EDTA ...

just a thought -- best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%