Kosher Recipes

Baking By KeeAshJack Updated 11 Jan 2016 , 5:49am by KeeAshJack

KeeAshJack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeeAshJack Posted 9 Jan 2016 , 1:09am
post #1 of 6

I have a friend wanting a Kosher cake for a Bar mitzvah. Does anyone have a recipe they can share? Cake and frosting, if you have it.

Thanks,

Cindy

5 replies
Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 9 Jan 2016 , 4:15am
post #2 of 6

Hi Cindy.

i've made a few kosher cakes. I just need to ask some questions:

is the cake to be made in a certified kosher kitchen with certified kosher ingredients, under supervision, or will you make it in your kitchen with regular ingredients?

Can the cake contain dairy products or does it need to be parve?

regards,

Cher

KeeAshJack Posted 9 Jan 2016 , 6:09am
post #3 of 6

Hi Cher,

My friend will be making it herself for her sons Bar Mitzvah. She said she is buying new bowls, pans, etc. to make the cake. She told me the cake just can't have dairy products in it.

Thanks,

Cindy

Cher2309b Posted 9 Jan 2016 , 6:48am
post #4 of 6

Nice. It will be pretty special making her son's Barmitzvah cake. If she's interested in making a chocolate mud cake I can send my recipe later; I may not be home for a few hours. I cover it with chocolate ganache and then Satin Ice fondant, which is kosher and parve. I just have a few substitutions to make the cake and ganache parve.

regards,

Cher

Cher2309b Posted 11 Jan 2016 , 3:12am
post #5 of 6

Are you still wanting help with the kosher cake? 

I basically just make substitutions. Eg

coconut cream for cream (nice in ganache)

For whipped cream you can buy a kosher non-dairy cream (I guess there are also non-kosher ones.).

almond milk + a teaspoon of lemon juice for buttermilk

non-dairy (and no meat products) in margarine instead of butter

any of the non-dairy milks for milk (soy, almond, etc)

Make sure chocolate, etc is non-dairy

You can make buttercream with non-dairy margarine (I use kosher Nuttelex.)

Satin Ice fondant and gum paste are kosher and parve (i.e. no meat or dairy)

Tylose is kosher; you can mix it with water for an edible glue or add it to fondant to make gum paste for models, etc.

You can adapt most recipes. I tend to make a chocolate mud cake with dark chocolate ganache and Satin Ice fondant. I use the recipes in "The Essential Guide to Cake Decorating" (Murdoch Books); perhaps they can be found online - not sure. (For the dark chocolate ganache I use a 2:1 ratio dark chocolate to coconut cream. If it's particularly hot or humid, a 3:1 ratio.)

Let me know if you need any other information or specific recipes.

Good luck.

Cher

KeeAshJack Posted 11 Jan 2016 , 5:49am
post #6 of 6

Cher,

I'm so sorry,  I haven't replied sooner. I will see my friend at work tomorrow and I will give her the list of replacements that she can use. I will ask her if there is a certain flavor she wanted for the cake. 

Thank you again for your help, Cher.

Cindy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%