Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Crumb Coat?

Decorating By Simchicky Updated 2 Dec 2015 , 12:36am by ScratchCakes

Simchicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Simchicky Posted 30 Nov 2015 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 7

I have a rather infamous carrot cake that is rather moist that I am considering making for a friends birthday this week Friday. Question is this is a rather moist cake and I also prefer  to use a cream cheese frosting as my crumb coat. Has anyone ever used fondant with these two types of cake and frosting? I've only done standard buttercreams and less moist cakes In the past for fondant applications  I plan to make it Thursday evening and serve it Friday evening

6 replies
deuceofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deuceofcakes Posted 30 Nov 2015 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 7

My carrot cake is also very moist. After some issues several years ago, I now only use cream cheese frosting to fill my cake and SMBC to frost or crumb coat the cake. Cream cheese frosting gets soft easily and is a little acidic and I find the buttercream is more stable under the fondant. Hope this helps. 

Simchicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Simchicky Posted 1 Dec 2015 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks Deuce!

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 1 Dec 2015 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 7

I would say if a carrot cake is dry there's something wrong with it, lol. No worries, go ahead as planed. I never had issues with buttercream and fondant on the cake. I even use carrot cake for carved cakes. My personal favourites are lemon smbc and cream cheese frosting, no fondant as I find it doesn't go well with carrot.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 1 Dec 2015 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 7

@julia1812   Carrot cake is the only cake I eat fondant with!  I am one of those that peels the fondant away from the cake to eat it, but not with carrot cake.  I make my own fondant, so perhaps that's the difference.  Whenever I make "teacups" out of fondant, I use my carrot cake for them.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2015 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 7

random carrot cake thought --perfectly cafeteria style take it or leave it -- squeeze the juice out of the carrots before adding them to the batter then drink the juice -- or not  --

eggplant.png -- tired of looking for a carrot -- can you believe i could find eggplant before i could find carrot hahahaha

ScratchCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ScratchCakes Posted 2 Dec 2015 , 12:36am
post #7 of 7

Howdy!

Carrot cake is my serious fave. Maybe a cream cheese filling with a white chocolate ganache crumb coat? That way you could get nice sharp edges under your fondant -  if that's what you're going for. The flavor combo is stellar as well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%