Another Cake Decorator Asked Me What I Charge For Cakes. I'm Not Sure How To Respond...

Business By asascakes Updated 10 Nov 2015 , 3:31pm by asascakes

asascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asascakes Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 10

Hey everyone. Another cake decorator who moved to the area has asked me how I charge for my cakes, base price etc. She's joined the local cake club I am in, and we are both military spouses and in common groups on FB. I'd hate to be rude and not answer her and definitely don't want to cause any awkwardness from the start, but I am just not sure how to respond as she is competition and I feels a little odd to ask. Maybe I am just being wierd lol.

Any advice would be great. Thanks

9 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 10

If you don't have your prices on your website she won't find out sooner (-rather later).  On the other hand it's fair of her to approach you directly and not have "a  friend call you to order a cake". 

asascakes Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 10

Thats so true, I never even thought of it like that lol. And I do have base pricing on my website, so I guess it can't really hurt to talk. She seems very nice and friendly, so I doubt its malicious at all. I just never know what to say. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 10

you want to be careful to not price set anything -- no agreements to matchy matchy -- but i can see how it would be a bit awkward -- one of you will/might charge a bit less or a lot less and skills vary so one might be a better decorator and the other might be a better baker -- i'm nearly a recluse when it comes to people to people things like this -- i once had an organizer of an event book me and i later found out she booked another decorator as well -- we were all members of the same 'club' -- and i had initially said yes then i bailed on her -- she had plenty of notice and she clearly had the event covered too -- i'm not gonna display my work right next to someone else's -- it's an automatic competition with no winners --

so anyway -- i'm mouth running here a bit but keep it friendly and be prepared to laugh it all off -- don't take it serious -- light hearted -- be good cake buddies and call it a day or a cake

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 10

Why not get her email and send her a few links that might help her? Like this one: CakeBoss: How Much Should I Charge?  She just might not know where to start with how to price. But don't go into detail about how much everything costs for you, she doesn't need to know the exact dollar amount since her costs will prob be different.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 12:23am
post #6 of 10

If she's asking general questions just answer the way you'd answer a customer. That's not anything that you wouldn't tell anyone one the street who asked you, so no big deal. I'd just watch to see if she decided to undercut you so you know what you're up against.

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 10 Nov 2015 , 1:01am
post #7 of 10

Don't we always say to check your local bakeries to see how much they charge?

she has been honest and asked to you without pretending to be a customer..

I would just give her your website, it's already there anyways!

I have a friend in town, she makes cakes as well. We talk about prices too so we are sure we don't undercharge each other.

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 10 Nov 2015 , 1:25am
post #8 of 10

Another local baker contacted us bc she liked our work and wanted to start a referral type deal with us when she was booked up. She shared her price list with us and we did our own pricing but believe it or not our prices and hers ended up being almost identical!! This was all before we opened of course. I think it's not a bad thing necessarily for people to ask for the basics but I agree they need to figure their prices according to their expenses etc. I actually feel like since our prices are similar and we are very clear on costs increasing on more custom orders were actually creating a better cake market. I don't view her as competition bc there is enough to go around  its the under cutters that make it harder. 

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 10 Nov 2015 , 10:13am
post #9 of 10

I try to be as friendly as possible with other local bakers.  Especially the ones who I consider worthy of recommendation!  You are competition, but unless you are right on top of each other, you can also really help each other.  She has recommended me when she has been full, and I have recommended her.  If they are going to undercut you then they will do that anyway.  Ultimately, they will burn out, so it won't matter anyway.  If they are good then having someone you know and trust can be very helpful if you are hit by the preverbal bus/food poisoning!

asascakes Posted 10 Nov 2015 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you everyone for all the great advice. I will definitely share with her as she has had her business in another state as well and I'm sure she is looking to do honest work and she seems really nice. And the more I think about it you guys are right, the ones looking to undercut, will anyway. There is one person in my area who does cakes for almost 1/2 the price anyone else quotes (I've had customers tell me this, saying "thanks for the quote, but X will do it for [half the price]"). It always bothers me but then I realize, it's only hurting that other baker, and the customer is losing quality, but it won't last. 

thank you so much!

*Last edited by asascakes on 10 Nov 2015 , 3:31pm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%