Visible Cake Layers

Decorating By silveryriver Updated 3 Nov 2015 , 2:06pm by julia1812

silveryriver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silveryriver Posted 3 Nov 2015 , 1:54am
post #1 of 6

For some reason, there is a slight ripple or bulge in my cakes where the layers meet.  It is driving me crazy!  Everything is completely smooth when I ice the cake and lay the fondant on.  It's after a while that I notice it isn't perfectly flat on the sides.  It shows up in pictures so I know I am not being a perfectionist.  No one has seemed to notice or care but I know it could and should look better.

Any ideas why this is happening?  

5 replies
Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 3 Nov 2015 , 2:08am
post #2 of 6

Are you giving your cakes time to settle after stacking and filling and before icing, or at least pressing down well on the top before icing?  Sounds like the cake is settling after it's been iced, and pushing filling out between the layers, causing a bulge.

Whenever possible I fill and crumb coat my cakes, then let them sit a few hours or overnight before icing them, so that whatever settling they're going to do is done before the final coat of icing.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Nov 2015 , 2:08am
post #3 of 6

It sounds like the filling between your layers is either too soft or too thick. The weight of the top layer starts pressing down and it just bulges out after a while.

silveryriver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silveryriver Posted 3 Nov 2015 , 2:14am
post #4 of 6

It could definitely be the filing layer is too thick.  I have always waited until the crumb coat is cold and then iced.  I will definitely give it more time to settle this time around.

Just out of curiosity - how thick a layer of filling should I be using?

primacakesplus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
primacakesplus Posted 3 Nov 2015 , 2:28am
post #5 of 6

Silveryriver, I agree with magda and costume czar. It sounds like your layers have not had time to settle before you put your fondant on. You could try putting some books on top to help force the settling before crumbcoating. Another trick you could try is actually put a final layer of ganache on before putting on your fondant this helps with bulging.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 3 Nov 2015 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 6

My cakes (4" high) have normally 4 layers. One layer is about 3/4" cake and 1/4" buttercream. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%