Make Own Gold Airbrush Liquid?

Decorating By mmhassa2 Updated 11 Oct 2016 , 2:18am by Frank68

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 2 Nov 2015 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 9

So I have the Americolor gold for my airbrush machine but feel it's more of a antique gold.  I plan on recreating this cake (minus flowers) for my niece's wedding this coming weekend and the original creator of the cake uses:

Gold Decorative Metallic Lustre Dust 56.6g by Claire Bowman (non-edible, it's ok as it's a dummy tier and so will the sequin tier): http://www.flourconfections.com/gold-decorative-metallic-lustre-dust-566g-claire-bowman-p-5205.html

56377ff65d537.png

She mixed vodka and painted it on with a makeup brush, but since the tier will be an 10" I'm thinking painting it might take a long time and not to mention since I havent done it before might be blotchy/streaks. Has anyone mixed vodka/the lustre dust into their airbrush machine?  I have a cheap one from ebay which I've been using and its been good. I understand it would have to be liquid consistency, but would like to hear others experience before potentially ruining my airbrush machine lol

The main reason I want to use the lustre dust above is bevause of the finish it gives...my Americolor has a more orangish tint.  I'll post a photo of my airbrush cake from a wedding a while ago. 

56377ff7e0ad1.jpeg

8 replies
mmhassa2 Posted 2 Nov 2015 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 9

Another idea...

What if I use my existing airbrush to airbrush the whole 10" like a base coat and THEN dry brush the luster on top? This way I wont be using must of the lustre as well? I need confirmation from you all as sometimes what I *think* will work doesnt. lol

*Last edited by mmhassa2 on 2 Nov 2015 , 3:38pm
mmhassa2 Posted 3 Nov 2015 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 9

Anyone? Pleaseeee :)

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 5 Nov 2015 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 9

I have mixed vodka and gold luster dust for my airbrush for years...the issue is that it can clog your needle more quickly.   Anyway....

I don't know how others do it, but for a larger cake I have painted on the gold color first, then airbrushed over that.  Or several coats of airbrushed gold will work - just depends on how reliable your gun is!  LOL   I've also heard that after a layer of gold is painted on, to brush on dry dust with a make-up brush to give it more depth.

615758PGxy_moon-amp-stars-wedding-cake_900.jpg

dgonzalez227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dgonzalez227 Posted 6 Nov 2015 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 9

hey since were on this topic, that look of the gold in the first cake, the solid gold painted part. HOW can i do that lol

ive googled and you tubed but no one really tells you what gold to use.

i spent so much on the Rolkem super gold but the container is so tiny i feel like i might need more

anyone suggest a bigger container?

*Last edited by dgonzalez227 on 6 Nov 2015 , 4:07pm
fauxgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fauxgal Posted 9 Oct 2016 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 9

Yes, you can airbrush first and then dry brush luster on.  Wait until the airbrush paint is dry.

Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 11 Oct 2016 , 2:14am
post #7 of 9

I airbrush gold (americolor) and then paint the gold luster dust (the highlighter from sunflower art works really well). Here's the last sequin cake I made using that :

[postimage id="5297" thumb="900"]

Frank68 Posted 11 Oct 2016 , 2:15am
post #8 of 9

One more...[postimage id="5298" thumb="900"]

Frank68 Posted 11 Oct 2016 , 2:18am
post #9 of 9

And one more thing @mmhassa2 ‍ , the picture you posted shows a sequin tier had too much gold paint applied. Compare that to the sequins i posted. Dabble your paint on, don't put tons on, it will hide the detail of the sequins and look messy otherwise.

Frank

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%