Freezing Filled Cupcakes

Baking By grama_j Updated 13 Oct 2015 , 4:46pm by grama_j

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 10 Oct 2015 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 8

Good morning, everyone......... I could use some help this morning...... I need several red velvet cupcakes, and I'm going to use a cream cheese filling........ can I make them up a head of time and freeze them ?  Thanks for helping......

7 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 11 Oct 2015 , 7:59am
post #2 of 8

I've never frozen filled cupcakes before, but I'll give you a bump and hopefully someone who has can give you an answer!

Rohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rohini Posted 12 Oct 2015 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 8

I've frozen chocolate cupcakes filled with chocolate mousse AND frosted with raspberry smbc and they turned out just fine! I have also frozen red velvet cupcakes but without any filling nor frosting...and they turned out just fine too! Hope someone can give you an answer regarding freezing filled red velvet cupcakes! 

grama_j Posted 12 Oct 2015 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 8

THANK YOU BOTH........... I had to get them into the freezer a couple of days ago...... Will let you know if it was a disaster........kissing_heart.png

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 1:23am
post #5 of 8

They will be just fine.    I freeze filled cupcakes all the time. I freeze everything all the time.  LOVE my upright manual defrost freezer. 

Remember with REAL cream cheese filling or frosting, you have a 2 hour window of time at room temperature before they must be re-frozen or refrigerated. 

I use a faux cream cheese method I learned from CC member, Blakes Cakes.  I mix half my regular buttercream  with half Duncan Hines Cream Cheese Frosting from the market.  This makes a nice tasting, shelf stable at room temperature, filling.  I do not use this to frost cakes.

grama_j Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 11:00am
post #6 of 8

APTI.......... THANK YOU FOR THAT FILLING TIP !!  I will certainly use it in the future...

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 8

You are most welcome.   I fill my cupcakes with ganache, raspberry/lemon/other sleeve filling (shelf stable at room temp), buttercream, etc.  I use the OXO Good Grips CorerOXO Good Grips Corerto get just the right amount of filling to cupcake.  I save the piece of cupcake core and use the top part to act as a "lid".  Eat the bottom part of the core as a "quality control test"...heh heh heh.     I've also use the piping bag/tip method to fill cupcakes, but I always seem to either under-fill or over-fill.  If I had to do a million cupcakes, it would be worth my time to get the piping bag/tip method "just right" because it is very fast.

grama_j Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 8

I usually use the piping bag for filling, BUT............ I just got that corer, and I'm for SURE going to use it for more than just apples....... thank you once again !     ganache is my FAVORITE for filling, but for red velvet the cream cheese seemed just right ..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%