Stacking Preference

Decorating By 1968mkm Updated 9 Oct 2015 , 5:38pm by 640Cake

1968mkm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1968mkm Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 5

When stacking a two tier fondant cake is it preferable to put a dowel rod in the middle of down both cakes? Some say they don't and feel safe! HELP

4 replies
countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 5

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. If the customer is picking it up and taking it themselves, I almost always do. Or if I'm delivering it anywhere too far, I will. Okay, now that I think about it, I probably dowel about 85% of the time. Better safe than sorry blush.png I have used royal icing between the cakes when I've been in a pinch, but I don't know how trustworthy that method is.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 5

I don't use a center dowel for two tiers, nor do I use RI.  In fact, I've never used a center dowel as I will only stack two tiers before traveling.  I assemble on-site.  Less stress while traveling for me.  I deliver all of my cakes, but I guess I would consider using a center dowel if someone was picking it up from me.

1968mkm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1968mkm Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 5

640cake,

if the tiers are fondant, do you use a little buttercream on top of bottom cake to hold the top tier?

Thank you!

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, that is all I use to "glue" the tiers together, buttercream.  I use American Buttercream, if that helps or makes a difference.  And I always travel with a well chilled cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%