Anyone Have A Good Chocolate Buttercream Recipe

Baking By smile22 Updated 14 Oct 2015 , 10:12am by julia1812

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 6

anyone have a good rich chocolate buttercream recipe, the times i do a chocolate buttercream i have been using  william's sanomas recipe but sometimes it comes out not tasting like a nice rich chocolate taste almost like a buttery taste

i am topping a chocolate cupcake with chocolate buttercream adding a mini brownie or brownie crumbles caramel sauce and some rainbow sprinkles 

5 replies
TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 6

I like a nice, rich fudgy icing.  If I have buttermilk, I substitute that for the milk.  It is great either way.

8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
  1      package       powdered sugar (about 4 cups)
    1/2  cup           butter
  2      teaspoons     vanilla
    1/3  cup           milk

Microwave chocolate in bowl on high 2 minutes or until almost melted.  Stir after one minute.  Stir until chocolate is completely melted.  Cool 5 minutes or to room temperature.  Add sugar, butter and vanilla; beat with electric mixer on low speed til well blended.  Gradually add milk, beating til well blended.  If frosting too thick, beat in additional milk by teaspoonfuls.

Makes enough frosting to frost tops and sides of two (8 or 9 inch) cake layers. 

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 6

mmmmm.....that one sounds good!

I've always used the recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa Powder can.     :)

kitty46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty46 Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 6

I just used this recipe for Chocolate Buttercream for a filling in a wedding cake I just did.  This is the best tasting chocolate buttercream I think I've ever had...delicious!!!

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients

1. 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  2. 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  3. 3/4 teaspoon salt
  4. 4 cups powdered sugar
  5. 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  6. 1/4 cup whole milk
  7. 3/4 cup heavy cream
  8. 2/3 cup Rich Chocolate Ovaltine powder

Instructions

1.      Cream together butter, cocoa powder and salt. Butter mixture will be very thick. Turn off the mixer, scrape down the sides of the bowl.

2.      Add powdered sugar. Turn mixer on low and mix in powdered sugar while adding milk and vanilla extract. As the sugar incorporates, raise the speed of the mixer to beat the frosting. Beat until smooth, about 1 minute.

3.      In a 2 cup measuring glass, stir together heavy cream and Ovaltine. Turn mixer speed to medium and pour half of the cream mixture into frosting in a slow, steady stream. Stop the mister scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add remaining cream mixture or until you've reached your desired consistency. Beat until soft and creamy, about 1 minute.

4.      Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer. Bring to room temperature before frosting cakes and cupcakes.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 14 Oct 2015 , 4:22am
post #5 of 6

I love the Hershey's cocoa recipe. Once I made it with Nestle cocoa (sale, ugh...stupid buy!). Anyway- it was awful! What a difference the brand makes! So, be brand sensitive when you experiment with it...

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 14 Oct 2015 , 10:12am
post #6 of 6

I normally just add melted chocolate to my swiss meringue buttercream.  It's not overly sweet and very creamy and light.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%