Corn Syrup & Starch In The Uk?

Sugar Work By CarolineGFcakes Updated 7 Oct 2015 , 3:42pm by CarolineGFcakes

CarolineGFcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolineGFcakes Posted 5 Oct 2015 , 6:46am
post #1 of 10

Hi,

I've  recently seen a post on here regarding the equivalent of corn syrup in the UK. A few people had posted saying golden syrup can be used in place of corn syrup but the recipe I'm doing is sugar glass & with golden syrup having colour to it,I wondered if it would colour the glass?

thanks in advance

9 replies
CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 5 Oct 2015 , 9:02am
post #2 of 10

You can get corn syrup in the UK at Tesco, I got some Karo syrup to use for modelling chocolate as the golden syrup tinted the white chocolate too much.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=273849200

For some reason, you can't get it at Asda though, which is surprising. I think I remember Waitrose doing it, but not sure as we don't have one near to us. Saying that, Golden Syrup works out much cheaper, but there is the colour issue.

I used the Karo with great success when I made this

12115423_10153877735413646_466165997593390517_n.jpg?oh=034151037c76333dafa8cdc4b351b361&oe=568D64B2

Took me three attempts to get it right but got there in the end.  :)

CarolineGFcakes Posted 5 Oct 2015 , 9:21am
post #3 of 10

WOWZERS,that's amazing!!!! 

Ah that's brilliant,thank you so much! I'll give it a bash,got an Waitrose nearby so ill PPP in,thanks for your reply!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 Oct 2015 , 9:38am
post #4 of 10

I've seen an UK recipe for making you own clear corn syrup on the internet.

really adorable cake !

CoinUK Posted 5 Oct 2015 , 11:29am
post #5 of 10

Thanks for the compliments :)

The video I watched beforehand was this one.

It was pretty easy to do but took me three attempts. The trick I found is making sure to watch the colour of it as you do it. You can see when it starts to darken and that's when I needed to take it off, despite my sugar thermometer saying it still needed another 5 degrees. I went by the temperature the first two times and the colour went all dark and brown. Third time I took it of when it was just starting to change and got it bang on right.

Tastes delicious as well with some flavouring in it :)

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 10

You can buy corn syrup at Waitrose. As for corn starch, that is nothing more than our corn flour. :) If you are making sugar glass, you can use glucose instead of corn syrup. You can buy glucose at any supermarket. 

Callicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callicious Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 10

I've learnt something here. Thanks @CoinUK I'm going to try... I've been using liquid glucose to make modelling chocolate, but the recipe is for corn syrup.  Thanks @CarolineGFcakes for raising the discussion 

CoinUK Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 10

You're welcome, @Callicious :)

Liquid glucose works as well, but I find it's a LOT more expensive. Golden syrup works great for milk and dark modelling chocolate though ;)

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 7 Oct 2015 , 2:12pm
post #9 of 10

I was looking for corn syrup for AGES to make modelling chocolate (refuse to pay the extortionate prices charged by some places.  We don't have a tescos here so never checked and it wasn't online last time I looked.  THANK YOU PEOPLE!!  *doing a little jig in my head*.  Question though...for modelling chocolate, do you use candy melts or regular eating chocolate?

thanks x

CarolineGFcakes Posted 7 Oct 2015 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 10

You're welcome @callicious! 

Wow,thank you everyone for your replies,it's really helped me out!! Although I did ATTEMPT to make my own corn syrup... It went rock hard immediately after leaving the pan?! I now have a solid brick?! Is this what happens? Can you maybe melt it back down?  The recipe said it lasts for 2 months? Think mine will last 2 years?! I think I'll give the glucose a go too,me & my great ideas.... 

Thanks again everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%