Tapered Cake

Decorating By Sarah1986 Updated 5 Oct 2015 , 4:20pm by Magda_MI

Sarah1986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarah1986 Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I need some help with a tapered cake on  how much i should cut of to taper them.

I have decided to use a 12", 9" & 6" square cakes to make a 3 tier cake, I need to taper them going smaller at the bottom, how much should I cut off each one to keep it in proportion?

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

Sarah

4 replies
Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 5

Since the sizes are evenly spaced, you'll want to taper each cake the same amount.

As to how much cut off, that depends how tapered you want it.  I'd recommend drawing it to scale on graph paper to see what size gets the look you want.  

There's really no substitute for actually seeing how the proportions are going to look, which is why I draw all my carved cakes to scale.

*Last edited by Magda_MI on 1 Oct 2015 , 10:35pm
sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 3 Oct 2015 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 5

Whenever I need to taper, I use cake boards as my guides. So if it goes larger at the top to smaller at the bottom, my process would be to chill the cake first, then to flip it over so the "bottom" is now on top so it is easier to see where I am carving. Cut cardboard cake boards as your guides, one the smallest size you want and one the largest. Sandwich the cake between the boards and taper the cake as you need staying within the boards. Does that make sense? It'll keep everything in proportion and makes it easier to taper without getting lopsided. blush.png

Sarah1986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarah1986 Posted 5 Oct 2015 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 5

Ok so ive had a go at drawing this to scale

Scale = Each square box is 1"

I have done a 12" cake tapered down to 10"

9" cake tapered down to 7"

6" cake tapered forn to 4"

Each cake will be around 4" in height

Do you think it works?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c289/sarah__roberts/Cake_1.jpg

Thanks

Sarah

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 5 Oct 2015 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 5

Looks good to me, and I'll second sixinarow's suggestions about using boards (with the smaller one on top) as templates when carving.  I've done that as well, and it makes it a lot easier to get it even.  Just keep your knife touching both boards as you make each cut, and you should get a nice even line.  I'd also recommend crumb coating the sides before flipping it right side up, just because it'll be easier to get the right angle with your spatula, and will keep the cut edge from drying out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%