Can I Mix Fondant And Modeling Chocolate?

Decorating By coloradocache Updated 30 Sep 2015 , 7:56pm by MBalaska

coloradocache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradocache Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 1:25am
post #1 of 7

I'm making a ninja turtle cake and found that my MMF is too soft to keep my turtles from turning into blobs!  So I decided to make some modeling chocolate with white vanilla wilton discs but ended up coloring it too dark.  This is my first time using  modeling chocolate.  Can I use some of my colored fondant to mix into the modeling chocolate to :

# 1 - lighten it up a bit?  

#2  -  make use my perfect color for ninja turtle MMF that I made a ton of? 

#3 - if I do mix in the fondant, will it make my modeling chocolate too soft and I'll end up with a blob again????? 

Thanks so much for your help!!!

6 replies
jessicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicake Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 3:05am
post #2 of 7

It's my understanding that it would in fact soften your modeling chocolate.  The modeling chocolate would slow the drying of the fondant, and the fondant would make the modeling chocolate more elastic.  I'm new to modeling chocolate, by the way, and I'm a fan. 

Can you get your hands on some gum paste or tylose powder to firm up your MMF?

*Last edited by jessicake on 29 Sep 2015 , 3:06am
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 4:47am
post #3 of 7

You can add cornstarch to the fondant to tighten it up to hold it's shape.  It shouldn't be so soft that it becomes a blob!

Callicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callicious Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 8:17am
post #4 of 7

For modelling characters, I've used a small amount of modelling chocolate into fondant as it helps me to spend more time modelling without it cracking and drying out. 

But, if your wanting it to harden up quickly, then as Jessicake says, use tylose or gum trag, it's effective and immediate...

thanks for that tip, Pasteybag Lady, I'll try cornflour next time :) 

coloradocache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradocache Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks to all of you for responding to my question.  I'm going to add the tylose and be patient to let the figures harden a little in between stages.  I'm also going to try the cornstarch too.

Appreciate it!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 7

I add modeling chocolate and fondant together all the time. But the tylose will probably work better for what you're doing.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%