Rolling Pins

Baking By sparkledee3 Updated 17 Sep 2015 , 12:10pm by CTgardener

sparkledee3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkledee3 Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 4:25am
post #1 of 9

Hi! Any suggestions for rolling pins for rolling out sugar cookies? I have the wooden French tapered type and it sticks and leaves impressions. I'm no too good at rolling out even thickness either. How can I roll my dough evenly? Thanks for any advice!

8 replies
Happyfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Happyfood Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 5:58am
post #2 of 9

Those tapered rolling pins are not so great for rolling out cookie dough.  A strait one will work much better.  I use one of those long Wilton rolling pins that are made from a white plastic material.  You can purchase some rolling guides that look like fat rubber bands to put on the sides of it if you want to roll your dough out evenly.  I had my husband cut some lengths of square hardwood dowels to use as a rolling guide and just roll out my dough between them.  If you have trouble with your dough sticking, you can solve that by rolling it between two layers of waxed paper.  Then you just chill the sheets of dough, peel off the waxed paper,  and cut out your cookies.  This is great because you don't add extra flour to your dough.

CatPoet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatPoet Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 9

Marmble rolling pin, those are great but heavy and for budget one  IKEAS is really good. I still have mine from way back and the one I bought for my husband is still loved..  I just realised I have  6 rolling pin  and one  textured..  Oops..

sparkledee3 Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the tips CatPoet & HappyFood! Love the idea of the wood with the dough between them. And I do think I have a marble rolling pin put away somewhere. Getting ready to learn to decorate sugar cookies for the holidays. First, though I have to master baking them. LOL

Happyfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Happyfood Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 9

@ Cat Poet, I have wanted to get a marble rolling pin for rolling out my pie dough.  We just got an IKEA in our area last year so maybe I need to make a trip into the city to check out their rolling pins!    :)

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 1:50am
post #6 of 9

I use a large plastic rolling pin (wide glide) I got at Micheal's marked down and used my 40% off coupon; it is a Wilton pin.  I love it.  I use it with perfection strips and my cookies come out great.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/shop/essentials/perfection-strips/40/607/1442/625575/

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 2:51am
post #7 of 9

When you've just made the dough, roll it out between two sheets of waxed paper with standard flat rolling pin with the dough between two rulers, chill then cut.  You will have perfectly uniform cookies that will be easy to peel off the paper and place on the lined pan.

sparkledee3 Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 5:17am
post #8 of 9

Great suggestions. Thanks everyone!

CTgardener Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CTgardener Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 12:10pm
post #9 of 9

I like a regular wooden pin with ball bears so that it rolls smoothly. I use new clean paint stirrers as guides, I have one single pair and on that is doubled up that makes it about 1/4 inch thick. There are times I wish I had a longer pin. My grandmother used to roll out pasta dough is an old closet pole!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%