Ermine Buttercream - Oh Woe, Pls Help!

Decorating By hep275 Updated 1 Sep 2015 , 9:05pm by Shockolata

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 11:05am
post #1 of 11

I was so chuffed with the ermine buttercream I made last night and decided to chill it overnight to experiment with piping today but on taking it out of the fridge it has the impression of having split. Can I rescue it and if so, how? Thanks

10 replies
hep275 Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 11:20am
post #2 of 11

hahaha, I have sorted it. just warmed the bowl it was in and put it back in the mixer on mega speed!!

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 11

But what if this happens after piping? Please let us know how the cake fared. Thank you.

hep275 Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 11

no, thankfully not.  i had chilled just the icing and got it out to practice my icing technique (still very much a learner) on parchment before setting myself loose on cupcakes but I think it was impatient and tried to beat it to loosen it while it was still cold from the fridge.  It has piped onto cupcakes fine and still tastes as good as yesterday - and now looks as good again as well.  Just wish I could perfect cupcake piping!!

Shockolata Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 11

You will perfect your piping. After all, practice makes perfect! :) Glad the ermine frosting has stabilised itself.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 31 Aug 2015 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 11

hep275

Here's a good YouTube video using just a star tip. And of course as Shockolata says....practice makes perfect...

SIX of the BEST FROSTING TECHNIQUES ...

hep275 Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 6:57am
post #7 of 11

Thanks both - I did watch part of that video - the multi colour icing was great.  I will keep practicing - and what better use of a rainy, miserable bank holiday in the UK than covering the table with parchment and piping splodges and splats then scrapping it all back up and starting again!!

Shockolata Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 11

@hep275  I'll tell you what better! Invite me over and then we can eat the scraps!! :) Here's a pic of my rose piped almond buttercream cupcakes. 

55e5cc8c5921c.jpeg

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 11

Very nice... Great job..

hep275 Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 11

lovely.  they look like the work of someone who has had lots of practice!!

Shockolata Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 9:05pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you guys. Actually, it was more of an accident. I misplaced my regular piping nozzle and had to make do with a different one which it turns out is the perfect one for making roses. I can't tell you the amount of times I watched videos to figure out how to do it and then when I have given up and done something really fast to send to school... magic happened! You start piping from the middle and just let the frosting fall from a distance onto the cupcake which is when it does its twisty dance and ends up looking like a rose. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%