Making A Business At Home Cottage Food Law Llc? Dba?

Business By karenamr95 Updated 28 Aug 2015 , 12:14am by karenamr95

karenamr95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenamr95 Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 5

I am Going to rent a Booth at a local market already looked into cottage food law and permits so i know what i would need and limits to what i can make.

Since its starting as a at home business what should i do i thought i had to do LLC and register my business name but now im reading about DBA and im confused to what i need.

I live in Broward county florida

4 replies
Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 5

I just registered today with the federal and state so this is fresh on my brain lol. Also congrats on starting a business!!! My husband and I contacted our accountant prior to registering our business. We are a joint venture (it's listed within the partnership section)  if you are operating as an individual it would be a sole proprietorship if it's you and a spouse then it could be a joint venture or partnership depending on the involvement you both have in the business. Again I highly recommend contacting an accountant because I'm definitely not a tax professional lol  :)

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 5

DBA means  doing business as "____________", (put your business name) in empty space. You have to register your business name with the city in which you perform business if your business name does not have your  name in it. 

For example Lucys Cakes doesn't need to be registered as DBA, if Lucy is your first name.  But  your business name is Yummy Cakes , it need to be registered with the city

LLC means  limited liability company.  If someone files lawsuit against you. Your liability is limited. Sole proprietor - your liability is unlimited. 

LLC needs to be registered with the State.

You are in different state, check your state regulations about business.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 5

If you have to choose one, do an LLC from the beginning, I started out as a sole proprietorship and when I decided to convert to an LLC for better legal protection I had to go through the whole process of getting a business license and tax ID over again. Just a pain in the butt.

karenamr95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenamr95 Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 12:14am
post #5 of 5

thanks costumec!! :) thats what i was thinking :p

Quote by @%username% on %date%