How Would You Decorate This Mask?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 23 Aug 2015 , 5:06pm by cakesrock

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 5

I found the mask design I would like to make and will spray it with edible gold spray. How would you do the decorations?

What would you use for sparkle? lustre dust? sanding sugar? something else?

How would you adhere the sparkles? RI? or is there something else? I'd rather not use RI, but I want it to stick! 

What would you used for the lacey/ropey outline on the mask?

Thanks!!!!
55d9e11b2013f.jpeg

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 5

i would pipe some piping gel to get the various designs then  you could use extra fine granulated sugar for the sparkly places -- just color it first with food color -- and the ropy thing you could paint it with a paint made from gum arabic and water -- it dries super shiny like patent leather -- you only want to paint alternating parts of it though so it shows the contrast -- it'll be all edible -- then in between the baubles on the ropy thing you can pipe strings -- up and down up and down

edited for typos, the ones i could find....

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 23 Aug 2015 , 5:13pm
cakesrock Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks K8memphis! Great idea to use piping gel!!! Never thought of that and it's perfect...

I have never colored sugar? Do you just put it in a bag with food color from the grocery store? (not gel color?) and shake? Would you consider use cake sparkles instead of fine sugar? It may be simpler, but I just don't know if the flakes are too large?

So, you'd make the ropey thing out of fondant then paint it with gum arabic? What is that? Is it like gumtex or tylose? I have never seen it? I have some shiny sprays I could use (I use for satin finish on items)....

Thanks

*Last edited by cakesrock on 23 Aug 2015 , 4:46pm
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 5

shiny sprays sound nice too -- read the ingredients in there maybe one is gum arabic? but it comes in like a spice bottle y'know like mccormack with the little screw off lid -- taller than wide little bottle -- it's just a white powder costs a few bucks under $4 usually and you just mix a dab with water (i tried it with other liquids -- water works best) and it dries like patent leather --

and coloring sugar -- i use gel color and just mash and knead it in like with fingers or a spoon and just work it work it -- in fact (my husband just made me go over to the sink to see his chicken marinating  in plastic bags-- our lunch he's grilling) so actually mashing it around in a plastic bag would be the easiest of all

cakesrock Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 5

Great - thanks! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%