Using A Spiral Cake Stand For Individual Tiers

Decorating By Elizabeth68 Updated 16 Aug 2015 , 11:31pm by Elizabeth68

Elizabeth68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth68 Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 12

I am making a wedding cake for a friend's daughter.  She would like to use a spiral acrylic cake stand to display 5 individual cakes.  I have never used anything like this and want to make sure I have all the ins and outs before the big day.  Does anyone have any experience with such a stand and can you recommend a brand or any tips?  Thanks!

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 12

look at this price! 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EEIXW4A/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687642&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00F0BMDC2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1HEMJ8J12SAMF7TJNDH5

geez what a deal -- i've never used this brand or anything but wow great price --

it's easier than stacking a cake and cutting dowel --

i can get this style at my local cake store so i always went there and bought whatever sizes i needed 

this is them:

http://www.bakingstuff.com/store/catalog/Wedding-Cake-Stands-orderby0-p-1-c-168.html

cathicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathicake Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 12

Have you seen Cake Stackers?  The quality is great and they have all kinds of different configurations.  And they are having free shipping in the US this month.  Cool stuff!

https://cakestackers.com/

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 12

Wow K8! that IS a great price.  And there's no easier setup.

Elizabeth68 Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 12

K8 -I am worried about the sturdiness...have you used them for wedding cakes?

-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 1:05am
post #6 of 12

for wedding cakes? i can't remember exactly -- probably yeah i think so --

i know i've used them for sculptures -- one was a phonograph with a real tall spindle (the thing that you stack the records on) and one was a huge chalice -- but i've used it for other stuff too just can't remember --

but you put the big poppa bear cake on the table and stand the others up on the acrylic tubes & plates -- it's very sturdy very secure you use the same size plate on top & bottom with the tube in between fits very securely --

i can totally vouch for the ones from my local shop -- i even use different size plates sometimes and i cut the tubes to the size i need

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 1:22am
post #7 of 12

Love these stands!  I used the Crystal Splendor - 4 Stand Set for a 100th Birthday celebration.    The cakes in the photo linked below  are 14", 12", 10" and 8" cakes.   The table has to be absolutely stable with no movement, or the tallest stand with the 8" cake will wobble because it is so tall.  (Photo taken with no decorations placed around the bases of the stands.)

https://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/337

The ones linked by K8memphis above would probably work just fine:

http://www.amazon.com/Tier-Cascade-Wedding-Cake-Stand/dp/B00EEIXW4A/ref=sr_1_18?srs=8390747011&ie=UTF8&qid=1439689374&sr=8-18

*Last edited by Apti on 16 Aug 2015 , 1:45am
Elizabeth68 Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 11:05am
post #8 of 12

Thanks!

-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 12:57pm
post #9 of 12

you can put a 10" plate under an 8" cake if you want -- in other words you can use larger plates underneath for security -- my local shop sells acrylic plates & pillars so I just bought what I wanted rather than buying sets --

yes like apti said the table & all has to be just right -- there's this one place here in Memphis le pappillon, -- not sure if it's spelled right but just a gorgeous venue closed now but the cakes were set in this beautiful area that was literally a round about it had traffic on all four sides -- was a wide spot in the thoroughfare through the building -- really pretty but the loose floorboards made the table bounce slightly determined by who and how many were passing by at the moment -- would be a real bad place for this set up -- but most places are fine

best to you

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 2:27pm
post #10 of 12

I have the Crystal Splendor and have used it many times for wedding cakes, cupcakes, general displays.  Its very versatile.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 7:21pm
post #11 of 12

just for contrast in degree of difficulty -- look at this cake i clipped out of maid of scandinavia magazine (i think it was m.o.s. but did m.o.s. change names or something -- can't remember anyway) from many moons ago -- this is not my cake -- it is joyce beer's cake for her daughter's wedding - it is quite spiraled and it is held up with sheets of acrylic you're looking through plexiglas to see the roses under there

55d0e2a4dbadf.jpeg 

i don't know was just thinking about  this cake -- boy is it easy to post pictures

Elizabeth68 Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 11:31pm
post #12 of 12

WOW!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%