Friday Night Cake Club For 8/14/15

Decorating By catlharper Updated 17 Aug 2015 , 9:18am by SweetShop5

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 2:45am
post #1 of 30

Opening up another session of the Friday Night Cake Club! Everyone is welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if they can!

Cat

29 replies
catlharper Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 2:48am
post #2 of 30

Hi everyone! Out and about celebrating our granddaughters 6th birthday! I'll check in later to see what great designs you all came up with this week!

-Cat

blondgal27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondgal27 Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 3:17am
post #3 of 30

Hello from Seattle...I purchased a Canon Pixma MG5620 printer a few weeks ago. I've played with the premium software it came with, I've downloaded KopyKake software, I've even messed around with Topperoo....I cannot figure out an easy way to create my own images and print them. I would like a blue background with a white 12 in the middle for cupcake toppers. I just feel like a total idiot with this thing! Is there a edible ink printer for dummy's handbook? Any help is appreciated laughing.png

catlharper Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 4:07am
post #4 of 30

The best I can tell you is to check you tube and Google for tips...it's always worked for me! @blondgal27  Fun to have new cake toys tho!

DixieDooly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DixieDooly Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 5:37am
post #5 of 30

Hey everyone! Busy week here as always. We have been a little short handed of late, one of our guys wife has leukemia and they have been at Mayo Clinic for about four weeks. He got to come back to work yesterday after bringing his wife home Wednesday.  We are waiting to hear her latest test results to see where her levels are and hopefully they will be improved.  They have had quite a rough time. 

On another note, one of my friends is celebrating her 3rd anniversary and I made her a small cake.  She really liked it and I was quite proud of it.  I have learned on my own with no classes of any sort, just what I have picked up here and a few other sites.  I guess you could say self taught? 

Here is the picture of the cake I made for my friend.  Tell me honestly what y'all think please.

55ced02f8e057.jpegM

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 12:14pm
post #6 of 30

I've had an insanely busy week. I bought my convection oven on Tuesday it's huge lol but I'm excited to have yet another piece of equipment for our kitchen. We are going to to purchase our 20 or 30 qt mixer (I can't believe I forgot what size it is) today. We hit a snag with one of the city inspectors Monday  but was able to line it out with the head inspector and the health dept. and we've yet to find out what the guys deal was and why he said what he said to me but anyway it's lined out now and we are moving forward at a great pace. I needed some baking therapy yesterday so I baked a new cupcake recipe I found on here. I need a solid from scratch white cake and this one isn't it but the strawberry filling I made was delicious and so was the vanilla buttercream. 55cf2d3e9c5d1.jpeg

@DixieDooly  How did you do the bottom border is that buttercream or fondant? I really like the color blue it's delicate and goes well with the pearls :)

cara1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cara1982 Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 30

A wedding cake from me this week. Not really my style, but nice to do something different!

the brides aunt had made the flower on the top tier, so it was nice to add something sentimental!

55cf2de492258.jpeg

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 1:13pm
post #8 of 30

No baking for me this week.

@DixieDooly  I love the simplicity of your cake, although I doubt it was.

@Webake2gether  your cupcakes look delicious. I am looking into getting a convection oven for my house. I don't make cakes professionally. My go to white cake is Beyond Buttercream's Base cake recipe it can be purchased on Esty's. It is well worth the price. It has lots of variations. I have yet to have it fail. I have made the chocolate one and a variation of the strawberry one. 

@cara1982  that is a nice cake. I am sure the bride was happy.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 1:27pm
post #9 of 30

55cf3e42cc625.jpeg55cf3e43b5747.jpeg

DixieDooly Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 3:35pm
post #10 of 30

@Webake2gether   sounds like you had a crazy week!!! I'm glad everything is worked out with the inspectors.  We have to deal with them constantly in our line of work and I know they can be a real pain in the you know what!!! I am excited for you about the progress you are making though.  The cupcakes look delicious, I love strawberry and wish I had one of them!  As for the border on my cake, it was made from a mold I purchased so I could attempt a strand of pearls like those from a tutorial on here by Bob Johnson demonstrating a couture pearl necklace made from gumpaste.

@cara1982  I love the wedding cake.  That shade of blue is beautiful!

@catlharper  hope you had a great time with the birthday girl, six is a precious age.  Well, they all are I guess!

@blondgal27  I wish I could offer some help with the printer but I have no experience with them as yet for edible images.  One is in my future but I have not researched them to any extent so far.

@Marian64  the cake was really fun to do and not overly challenging for me.  I just love making the decorations which is my favorite part of the whole process.  Just trying to find the time to practice all of the things I want to make is the real challenge!

@mattyeatscakes  that is an adorable cake!!! I'm sure that made someone very happy!

Everyone have a great weekend!!!kissing_heart.png

catlharper Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 4:37pm
post #11 of 30

Good morning everyone!

We had a very nice time last night...ended up with an extended evening for the adults after the kids went to bed and our own bedtime of 1am which is very late for me! LOL!

@DixieDooly  The topper looks like lovely abstract art...very delicate looking! Does it look like a ruffly heart from above? I also love using fondant to make "marbles" and the kids adore eating them! Very pretty.

@Webake2gether  LOVE strawberry cakes, cupcakes, desserts! I bet they were wonderful!

@cara1982  That is just lovely. My favorite color plus I love the floral touches. 

@mattyeatscakes  My favorite cake of the week! We adore that movie and that's one of my favorite parts! He's so FLUFFY!!! LOL! 

Always fun to come here on Saturday mornings!

Cat

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 4:43pm
post #12 of 30

Oh! I didn't even know my photo uploaded! First time posting after they revamped the site and i'm still trying to get used to the new website! Thanks cat :) had so much fun making this lil cutee!!! 

For those who do mot recognize the character, it's Agnes' unicorn toy from the movie Despicable Me (minions)  :) 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 4:51pm
post #13 of 30

@mattyeatscakes  I thought it looked familiar!  Spectacular job blush.png  Nice work everyone!

I made some lemon shortbread cookies and an artistic impression of an electric guitar cake.  Will post later hopefully.  Pictures have not been working for me lately  grin.png.

DixieDooly Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 4:53pm
post #14 of 30

@catlharper  glad you had a great time last night.  Ditto here on the bedtime except that is the norm around here on the weekends.  We always have company for some reason or other and the bedtimes are always into the wee hours!  I made the topper for my cake from two heart cutouts that I ruffled and stacked together with the one upside down.  May not be the greatest masterpiece but my friends really loved it.  Here is the picture of the top if I can get it loaded!!! 😁  I was trying for a puffed heart effect.

55cf6ea0d9554.jpeg

catlharper Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 5:11pm
post #15 of 30

@DixieDooly  I LOVE it! Even prettier from above! Thank you so much for sharing that photo too! I love the ruffling and, well, I love blue...so it's perfect to me!

I usually make my way to my book and bed around 10pm so 1am was very late! LOL! Always wonderful to hang out late with family tho!

Cat

Marian64 Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 5:28pm
post #16 of 30

@DixieDooly  oh is more beautiful from the top.

@mattyeatscakes  I love the unicorn and the cake board is perfect.

post #17 of 30

post #18 of 30

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 5:38pm
post #19 of 30

@DixieDooly  Oh wow looks even better from the top !!! 

@mattyeatscakes  I was trying to figure out where I seen that unicorn before. The "Unicorns i love them" song she sings is stuck in my head now lol very cute!!! How did you do your board that way? I love customizing boards :)

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 5:38pm
post #20 of 30

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great week.

@DixieDooly  that buttercream cake is fantastic! I really love the design on top, very original!

@mattyeatscakes  That unicorn cake is so cute!! I'm in love with the cake board as well! heart_eyes.png

It was another busy week for me! I had so much fun making everything this week!

I just finished delivering a wedding cake, and gosh am I ever worried it will melt. It's so hot outside. Here it is:

mVVJCFSjxJ-gold-polka-dot-wedding-cake_900.jpg

Also made a Hawaiian themed birthday cake:

F7UNjt8ixS-hawaiian-themed-birthday-cake_900.jpg

Butterfly sugar cookies and cake pops:

9I77UEwMS6-butterfly-sugar-cookies_900.jpgzOX9PW3C7a-butterfly-cake-pops_900.jpg

And finally these Cinderella cupcakes:

uiMbawPvym-cinderella-themed-cupcakes_900.jpg

DixieDooly Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 5:42pm
post #21 of 30

Thanks for the lovely comments!  I am just a little hobbyist with no expectations of becoming a professional or going into business as a baker/cake decorator.  There are so many great talents on this site and I just love browsing.  I have also learned a lot from all of y'all.  Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences as well as your talents!

Pastrybaglady Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 10:48pm
post #22 of 30

@SweetShop5  I love the Hawaiian cake and the Cinderella cupcakes are perfect!

Pastrybaglady Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 6:03am
post #23 of 30

A Blum's Coffee Crunch Cake

55d027cba2482.jpeg

An airplane cake for my husband

55d027cd62aca.jpeg

An electric guitar cake  for a guitar player and collector

55d027ce47af1.jpeg

SweetShop5 Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 2:00pm
post #24 of 30

@Pastrybaglady  thank you! Looks like you had a busy week too! That guitar cake is wow, the details are really on point! And the coffee crunch cake looks delicious, I would definitely have a piece heart_eyes.png

DixieDooly Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 2:35pm
post #25 of 30

@SweetShop5  looks like you had another busy week and everything looks great!

@Pastrybaglady  looks like you were pretty busy as well.  Love the cakes, especially the guitar cake, it looks great!  And the chocolate cake is one my dad would dive right into.

Hope everyone has a great rest of the weekend and the coming week is good to us all! kissing_heart.png

catlharper Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 3:57pm
post #26 of 30

Happy Sunday Morning from Monterey! We are headed up to see a friend who is moving to Hawaii...lucky duck...in a few weeks. Just me and the hubby...the kid is going with his sisters...so kind of a "date day" with lunch out and everything!!! Hope your Sunday is wonderful too (or if you are headed into Monday I hope your week goes smoothly!)  I have the Inside Out cake this week so I'll be sharing that next Friday night.

@SweetShop5  I hope that lovely wedding cake survived the heat too! All of the creations are lovely but I'm a Cinderella girl so....yup, those are my favorite!

@Pastrybaglady  Love all of the cakes but Ooooo that Crunch Cake looks AH-Mazing!  YUMMY!!!

Cat

Krhardi969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krhardi969 Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 3:24am
post #27 of 30

Late to the party. I did a baby shower cake for a family member this weekend. Got to use ganache for the first time and i feel like it did alot for the corners and with practice they will look even better :-) 

55d153d0d6cae.jpeg

DixieDooly Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 3:39am
post #28 of 30

@Krhardi969  what a pretty cake!  I am sure your family member was tickled pink!!!

catlharper Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 4:00am
post #29 of 30

Wow! @Krhardi969  That's a gorgeous cake! I can only imagine that it was the talk of the party!

Cat

SweetShop5 Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 9:18am
post #30 of 30

@DixieDooly Thank you!!

@catlharper  No word from the bride yet but I'm assuming all went right. If not. there isn't much we can do, this heat is uncontrollable, especially during an outside wedding. I think the Cinderella cupcakes are also my favourite from this week!

@Krhardi969  That cake is adorable!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%