? About Sugarshacks Buttercream In Professional 5Qt

Decorating By Tracyj Updated 15 Aug 2015 , 4:37pm by Apti

Tracyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracyj Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 9

I recently purchased a Kitchen Aid Professional 5qt mixer. I have burned out two 5 qt Artisans, so I thought a stronger motor would be better long term. Problem is that my buttercream is is no longer smooth, but very airy. I'm using Sharon's recipe exactly as before but it isn't working in this mixer. Any suggestions?

8 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 9

I've made recipe in both KA Artisan tilt head and KA Professional 6 quart bowl lift.

When you make the recipe in your new KA:  

is the bowl exactly the same as the bowl for your old mixer or is it a different shape? 

does the recipe hit the same places on the sides/beater as it did on the old KA?

Tracyj Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 9

This 

Tracyj Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 9

Let's try that again. I'm on my phone so it's taking longer to load I guess. This bowl is wider and not as deep as my artisan bowl. It gets very full but it does have gaps on the sides of the bowl. 

Apti Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 7:05am
post #5 of 9

That's probably why your frosting is different.   See if you can use your original bowl on the new unit.

Tracyj Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 9

Unfortunately I can't. It's the lift kind and my old one was the tilt. :/

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 9

make a bigger batch so the air can't mix in -- get your bowl as full as it was before in the old bowl -- get the mixture as high up on the paddle as it was before kwim -- y'know maybe freeze what you don't/can't use right then -- you'll be ahead of the game

DixieDooly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DixieDooly Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 4:34pm
post #8 of 9

The bowls are not interchangeable between the two models of mixers.  With the stronger motor of the new mixer everything I have read says to accommodate the extra power by mixing at a reduced speed, thereby reducing the amount of air in the final product.

Apti Posted 15 Aug 2015 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 9

Well, we've managed to rule out the easy possible solutions.  As K8memphis say above, since the key to "no bubbles" is to get the mixture as high up on the paddle as it was on the old mixer, that's your last resort to try and get the identical results.

Since both old and new mixers have 5 quart capacity bowls, it may require a  different recipe quantity for the new mixer.   For my recipe of her frosting, I have notes saying "single batch", "double batch" and "triple batch".  Try making a triple batch of the recipe instead of a double batch and see if the new bowl capacity can handle that quantity of ingredients.  (Keep a towel handy in case of overflow!)

I was astonished at the difference in capacity when I purchased a second KA with a 6 qt. capacity.  I now make triple batches of recipes instead of double batches and love it!   I freeze any excess. I  My first KA is a red KA Artisan tilt-head, 5 qt.   My second darling KA is a bowl-lift, 600 Pro, 6 qt.      I rarely use my original tilt-head mixer anymore.  (I'm sure she feels neglected, poor thing....)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%