Advice Please :-)

Baking By JordanLMc Updated 13 Aug 2015 , 8:29am by mandsie

JordanLMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JordanLMc Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 2:15am
post #1 of 12

Hi there,

i'm making a cake at the end of the month, and I'm looking for some advice on what fillings go well with chocolate cake.. I'll also be covering with fondant so I'm looking for something that won't be to sickly!

thank you

11 replies
sweettherapy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettherapy Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 7:03am
post #2 of 12

I usually do a cream cheese filling but since you are covering with fondant you will need a good crumb coat for under the fondant. 

mandsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandsie Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 9:38am
post #3 of 12

I love to use vanilla swiss meringue butter cream (SMBC) which chocolate mud, but I haven't tried it with regular chocolate cake. It's so light and soft and not sickly sweet at all, just beautiful!

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 12

I love a fudge filling; especially with chocolate.  Also a whipped ganache is good and so simple.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 12

I love peanut butter buttercream with chocolate cake!! 

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 12

Strawberry cream cheese buttercream.

mandsie Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 12

TheresaCarol I haven't yet tried fudge frosting.. sounds delicious! Do you have a recipe?

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 11 Aug 2015 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 12

Coffee, caramel, raspberry, vanilla, strawberry, Orange, amaretto, coconut... SMBC!

TheresaCarol Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 2:31am
post #9 of 12

Mandsie, I will have to look it up and get back with you.  I am looking at this late at night and on my way to bed so I will look it up tomorrow.  Sorry for the delay. 

oftheeicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oftheeicing Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 4:07am
post #10 of 12

My best seller is peanut butter buttercream.  I use it as a filling and crumbcoat under fondant.  

TheresaCarol Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 12:30pm
post #11 of 12

Mandsie, the recipe for fudge filling is:

1 1/3 cups marshmallow crème, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 2/3 cup evaporated milk, 1/4 cup butter,1/4 tsp. salt, 3 cups dark chocolate (semi-sweet) melted, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/2 cup water

In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine marshmallow cream, sugar, evaporated milk, butter and salt. Stir constantly and vigorously white bringing to a full boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool until "just" warm. Stir in melted chocolate until smooth. Add 1/2 cup hot water and vanilla. Stir until smooth. Cool; mixture will be soft.

Cooling will be the key issue.  If you use it too soon, it will be runny.  My kids love this and it has been a big hit with chocolate lovers. 

mandsie Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 8:29am
post #12 of 12

Thanks TheresaCarol! Can't wait to try it out :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%