Separate Building For Decorating Your Cakes?

Business By bbrumett Updated 6 Aug 2015 , 9:50pm by DixieDooly

bbrumett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbrumett Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have a separate building where they decorate their cakes? I don't have a large kitchen and I'm outgrowing it quick. I'm thinking of buying a storage building and turning that to where I do all my cakes. Just trying to wrap my head around where to get started. Any tips for those of you who do this? I'm thinking of getting one with a loft area mainly for storage and I can make another area for my kids with a tv. I do cakes on the side as well as work a full time job. 

5 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 6

That is one of my dreams.  I refer to my fantasy shed in the backyard as my cake studio.  Can't wait to hear what others have to say about this.

DixieDooly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DixieDooly Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 6

We are doing an addition to our house.  It won't be just my hobby kitchen but a couple of other rooms as well.  We are still in the pricing stage and hope to have the complete estimate together by next week.  I am chomping at the bit with excitement and also running out of storage room quick!

Before we decided to do the addition we had talked about a separate building behind our house or even adding on to our guest cottage.  However, I do still have to do my regular job so I really needed to be in the main house (we have an electrical contracting business that is run from a large office in our home).  I do know that Home Depot has some nice little buildings on their website that are priced fairly well.  They offer several styles and I remember seeing some with a loft area.  Of course you would have to finish the inside.  Or you could buy from one of those portable building dealers if you have those in your area.  There are also a lot websites that offer building kits  that are made to ship to you then be assembled after you receive it.  I know about these from looking several different times for various projects.  Or you could have someone site build a small building for you.  There are several options but  just deciding what is best for your budget and time constraints can be a real challenge.  As we are in the contracting business I would be glad to answer any questions I can.  

Just to be able to have your own space is a big deal I know.  Hopefully you can decide which way to go soon so you can get busy, busy, busy!!! Good luck!

plcharles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plcharles Posted 6 Aug 2015 , 1:38am
post #4 of 6

I built a second kitchen in my basement. I love it, when I have orders, I go downstairs. When I'm done working...I go upstairs. I had an actual storefront for a few years but overhead killed me. This path gives me better work/life balance. Good luck!

bbrumett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbrumett Posted 6 Aug 2015 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 6

In my area there's lots of cake decorators and a storefront cake decorator with a bakery/boutique not 12 miles from my house and she is very good as well. So a storefront is not in my future nor am I really interested. I don't care to learn sales tax, business, etc etc etc. Just not my thing. I'm happy with the clientele I am building up. We do have those storage building places in our area and I found one I want I can get for around $100 a month. So my cakes can pay for that. Not too concerned with it. But, then I have to consider the things i need to buy for it. Like, stove, refrigerator, tables, storage. Wondering if I should add some sort of sink with a countertop? I don't want to spend a ton of money so doesn't have to be anything fancy. And I'll have to consider getting power to it, adding to the power bill with another refrigerator running all the time (we already have 2 refrigerators and a deep freezer). Plus a tv for the kids so I will see them lol. They would actually love to have half of the loft area to have a tv and heck, just play in. Just don't want to get too overwhelmed and buy a bunch of stuff I wish I didn't. Will probably be something I will consider more after the first of the year, because a lot of my cake money could possibly be going to the payment of the building.  

DixieDooly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DixieDooly Posted 6 Aug 2015 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 6

I don't blame you about the storefront thing, too demanding!!!  When you are ready to furnish your building don't forget to look at scratch and dent sales for the appliances, etc.  I know I shop on webstaurantstore.com a lot and they have an outlet area with some pretty good deals including some stainless sinks with minor scratches or dings.  As for the electrical, some of our guys take side jobs in the evenings or on weekends and we don't mind that they do it as long as it does not interfere with our customers or service calls for the company.  Maybe you can find someone like that to do the electrical for you and it could save you some money on that part.  If my daughter was still little enough to warrant a TV/play area I would definitely make room for that.  But she is growing up so fast, starting her first day of senior year in high school today!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%