27 replies
Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 28

Me!! Can't wait!

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 5 Aug 2015 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 28

Man alive, doesn't your heart go out to them when it melts like that happened to the poor woman in the showstopper!

I said it would be Stu going in though, nothing seemed to work for him :(

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 6 Aug 2015 , 6:47am
post #4 of 28

So pleased it's back.....I also thought it would be Stu who left!

zoesfancycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoesfancycakes Posted 6 Aug 2015 , 10:06am
post #5 of 28

It was a great episode!

Claire138 Posted 7 Aug 2015 , 7:27am
post #6 of 28

Finally managed to watch it this morning - Have had a mad week so it's been on hold until I had time to sit down with a nice cuppa!

CoinUK - I think it was more of Stu just changing things around, he kept thinking he could better the recipe.

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 11:08am
post #7 of 28

Am in Canada & just happened to stumble on this show one Monday evening. Am British & love baking, so knew I had to watch. Missed the first few episodes, but now am hooked. The hosts are hillarious. The young girl (forgot her name) is really good.

Ready. Set. BAKE!

CoinUK Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 11:14am
post #8 of 28

You haven't missed any @Limpy  Wednesdays episode was the first one of the new series :)

And yeah, the young girl is good, except for forgetting to turn on her oven :D

CoinUK Posted 9 Aug 2015 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 28

And the scandal in the new series is already brewing! I love how British this show is :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/11792712/Great-British-Bake-Off-favourite-has-professional-training.html

Turns our Marie has had some professional training, but it was about 30 years ago, for a week in Paris. So it doesn't break the rules.

Also turns out she ran her own cake business on Facebook as well, and apparently that also doesn't break the rules as it wasn't her main source of income.

Not sure how bad this really is. Lots of amateurs run cake businesses on facebook, hell I could if I wanted to (I wouldn't my cakes aren't that good :D ) but it still muddys the water on the show somewhat! 

Guess we'll have to see what happens now, see if she wins or not! :D

Claire138 Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 28

Did you also read that there is a row brewing over the switch from KA to Kenwood?

CoinUK Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 28

I heard that they had, which makes sense as Kenwood is English and Kitchen Aid is US, I believe. I didn't know about a row over it though?

Claire138 Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 3:34pm
post #12 of 28

I think it's more Twitter than anything else but war doesn't take much these days:)

CoinUK Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 3:36pm
post #13 of 28

LOL, just been reading more about it, it's very amusing what the British public get upset over :D

Amusingly, a test by the Daily Mail had Kenwood winning! 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-3187706/As-Great-British-Bake-scraps-KitchenAid-favour-inferior-Kenwood-kMix-FEMAIL-puts-two-gadgets-test.html

Claire138 Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 4:00pm
post #14 of 28

Ah the Daily Mail, the paragon of the written truth!

CoinUK Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 4:41pm
post #15 of 28

Yeah, I know, Daily Fail, still amusing though :D

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 8:30pm
post #16 of 28

Love that show, but alas as an American, I must wait until it comes on PBS about a million years after it airs in the UK.  You all are so lucky! I watch the Sports Relief Bake Off, the Great Comic Relief Bake Off and all the repeats on YouTube.

Claire138 Posted 10 Aug 2015 , 9:05pm
post #17 of 28

It is making me hesitate though, I've been sitting on the fence for ages over a KA or not, my trusty MagicMill - (over 20 years old) is being somewhat eratic off late so I've being thinking about buying a new machine before she leaves me in the lurch (I'm not in town, so she can't read what I'm writing about her). I've been lusting over the KA because she's so pretty but then I go back to my MM and she's been so trustworthy for 20 odd years so I don't know if I should take the plunge into something I don't know or stick with what I do and just buy another.

CoinUK Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 3:55pm
post #18 of 28

Sooo, after all the fuss of her being a previously trained baker.....she went out in the second round! :D

Lot of fuss over nothing really. 

Saying that, a few of them looked ropy this week, a couple of the others could easily have gone.

Ian is looking good for winning it though, not easy to impress Paul Hollywood after all!

I'd be out next week though, it's Bread Week and I can't get the hang of bread! :S

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 7:25pm
post #19 of 28

The names sound familiar.  I watched it on PBS earlier this year.  Is the young girl's name Martha?

CoinUK Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 11:06pm
post #20 of 28

Nah, that's last years. This is the new series, only started last week here in the UK. No idea when PBS are showing it over the pond :)

Pastrybaglady Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 8:08am
post #21 of 28

Pastrybaglady Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 8:13am
post #22 of 28

Does that mean we have to wait till next year in February again? grin.png

Claire138 Posted 14 Aug 2015 , 8:31am
post #23 of 28

Coin - I bought Paul Hollywood's book last year (How to bake) and now make bread all the time. It's so well explained and precise that you can't go wrong. I very rarely buy baguettes anymore bc we just love the home baked different breads.

As to Marie leaving, I was surprised bc some of the others seemed to have quite   a bit of trouble as well. Although, Ian (I think it was him) really impressed me with his Macaroons, I make them but wouldn't have dreamed that they would have worked so well in such a short time & in a hot kitchen to boot!

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 16 Aug 2015 , 10:54pm
post #24 of 28

@Claire138 Don't underestimate the power of smaller stand mixers like the Breville. It has two beaters instead of one and leaves you space to insert your spatula and hold it whilst the bowl turns for easy mixing.  With the big mixers like the KitchenAid and the Kenwood, you have to keep raising the head to scrape the bowl... what a waste of time and energy! The Breville can be used as a hand mixer, too. Very powerful despite its low wattage! Breville can be found both in the UK and the USA. (Were I living in Australia, I would have probably gone for a Sunbeam stand mixer. The classic one was so lovely with its two bowls and the moving base. Sigh!)

I think we have been sold very expensive stand mixers for far too long and we did not stop to examine whether we really needed all those extras that cost a helluva lot of money (meat grinder, sausage maker, juicer, blender, chopper, grater, ice cream maker, pasta maker, pasta cutter, coffee grinder ARGH! We always buy thinking that IF we need the extras, we can get them but of course we never do and if we do get them as a gift, they end up cluttering our cabinets and we tend to forget all about their existence.) A mixer is there to mix - period. 

CoinUK Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 10:35pm
post #25 of 28

So, week 3 and we lost Dorret.

Can't say I'm overly shocked, it was between her and Matt, to be honest. Both struggled this week,

To be fair, I'd go out this week regardless as I'm rubbish at bread :D

Some of the cake sculptures were amazing, especially that lion that Paul did! I have enough trouble sculting with chocolate and fondant, let along something that rises like bread does! 

Desserts next week!

Pastrybaglady Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 3:51am
post #26 of 28

It just started here!  Yay smile.png

rwarren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rwarren Posted 8 Sep 2015 , 2:26am
post #27 of 28

I am watching the broadcast from PBS Vermont and I am totally in luv.  I wish there was a Canadian version of this!  I would seriously consider entering!  It is so laid back compared to the other cooking contest shows.  And you get enough time to get something accomplished!

CoinUK Posted 8 Sep 2015 , 7:57am
post #28 of 28

It's a VERY......British show, indeed, as reflected in how relaxed and laid back it is, and yet just how tense it can get at the same time over something simple.

I love how much it contrasts to the shows from over the pond in the USA. In shows like Next Great Baker and Ultimate Cake off where they have to rush to make some mahoosive epic build of a cake, in this it's.....12 little cookies :D

Week 4 was last week for us, week 5 tomorrow night. Can't say I'm surprised at any of the people who have left so far, they've had some bad luck with their bakes.

I have to say though, in comparison to the US shows, some of the Technical Challenges that they are doing this year are ridiculously fiendish! I've never heard of most of them! Hell, I find Macarons hard to do and they knock those out as decorations on a cake, so I could never do those technical ones :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%