Where Can I Find A Stand Like This? And What Size Layers Should I Use?

Decorating By megnet1599 Updated 3 Aug 2015 , 8:45pm by Jessmabee

megnet1599 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megnet1599 Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 6

So I'm making a cake similar to this one in the photo below for my grandmas 80th birthday. There will be about 60 people there so should i do 10/12 inch or a 8/10 inch but make the layers really thick? I have been searching for a stand to use and I'm not sure what i can use any help is greatly appreciated!55bfaad81a3f0.jpeg

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 6

it looks like the stand has about 22 cupcakes so you need cake for 40 -- a 10x8 would plentifully provide enough -- it would actually have about 60 servings --

but if you are planning on having that silhouette then that's a calculation of a different sort --

what do you mean really thick tiers? the ones in the picture look normal height to me --

i would make that stand if it was me

Jessmabee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessmabee Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 6

I would probably do 8" and 10" cakes; both four layers of cake and 3 layers of filling (bake 2x8" and 2x10'' and slice each cake horizontally into 2 layers) + 1-2 dozen cupcakes.. for the stand I would make it out of thick cake boards (10", 12", 14") and use Styrofoam rounds to separate the tiers. ... wrapping the edge of the boards in lace and the styrofoam in ribbon using hot glue or double sided tape.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with the 10"x4" and 8"x4" with the cupcakes.  You can always make extra cupcakes that can be stashed in the kitchen in case people cut servings too large, or want seconds.

That appears to be a  beautifully and skillyfully done, customized stand made by the decorator.

Easy enough to replicate (but may be expensive with the styrofoam cake dummies).

Use 1/2"  foam board cut to size, for the 3 "shelves"

Use Two or Three 1/2" thick foam boards, hot glued together, to create the 3/4" base under the bottom shelf.

Hot glue the lace/ribbon to the shelves.

Use styrofoam cake dummies to create the spacers between the shelves, wrap with cloth or ribbon.  Hot glue to shelves above and below.

Purchase White Laser Cut Cupcake Collars (liners/wrappers) online

*Last edited by Apti on 3 Aug 2015 , 7:31pm
megnet1599 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megnet1599 Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 6

It looks like ribbon on the base is that what it actually is? if so how do you cut the cake?

If I'm making a 10/8 cake what size should the cake dummies be?

Jessmabee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessmabee Posted 3 Aug 2015 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 6

It probably is real ribbon on the bottom of each cake.. to cut the cake the ribbon does have to be removed first. if this is a problem you can also make a fondant ribbon instead.

Do you mean the Styrofoam cake dummies for between each "shelf"? if so i would probably do 5" or 6" rounds.. you just have to make sure theyre wide enough to support the tiers but small enough to leave room for your cupcakes :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%