Rolled Fondant Questions

Sugar Work By CAKEMASTER1A Updated 19 Aug 2015 , 9:58am by Janine D

CAKEMASTER1A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKEMASTER1A Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 11

I'VE BEEN USING THE SATIN ICE BRAND FOR TWO YEARS HASN'T REALLY BEEN WORKING OUT IT'S BEEN CRACKING AND THE TASTE SEEMS TO OFF AM TRULY DISAPPOINTED. WANTED TO KNOW IF ANY ONE HEARD OF THIS ROLLED FONDANT CASELLA FOODS IS SELLING PASTA DAMA PWR I HEARD ITS AWESOME HAS ANY ONE USED IT YET

10 replies
Norcalhiker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norcalhiker Posted 12 Aug 2015 , 5:28am
post #2 of 11

No, but I just completed a multi-day cake workshop where we used Massa Ticino Carma.  I'm not a fondant person, but I was very impressed with this fondant.  It tastes good and it works beautifully.  Satin Ice was available as well, but none of the participants used the Satin Ice for the reasons you describe. One participant said she used Satin Ice regularly in her business and encountered the same problems you describe. The Massa had none of those issues. 

I had a large portion left, so I wrapped it in plastic and put it in a ziploc bag.  It sat on my counter for 2 weeks. Today I played with it on a dummie. To my astonishment it rolled out beautifully--multiple times.  I even tossed it in my kitchenaid with a dough hook, then rolled it out to see if I ruined it.  Still rolled and draped beautifully...so I decided to keep it for more practice.

I will warn you the stuff isn't cheap.  But you can always offer it to clients as an option with an up-charge.

Most of the high end pastry chefs in my area use it.  They say it's worth it.  We did a taste test and everyone thought it tasted remarkable better than the Satin Ice.  

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 12:26am
post #3 of 11

I have seen the Satin Ice on sale at my supplier but I usually buy my fondant from the supermarket (I don't use huge quantities and it is easier than running to the cake store.) I must say I like the taste of the supermarket fondant. It has a nice aroma and is easy to roll. However, they have began adding palm fat to fondant, and I think this is causing problems in hot and humid conditions. The same thing happens with Renshaw's fondant. They love to slump! I know a lot of bakers make their own fondant so might venture that. I don't know Masa Ticino Carma, but will keep an eye out for it. Thank you @Norcalhiker  

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 13 Aug 2015 , 1:19am
post #4 of 11

I use Massa Grischuna neutral which is available exclusively through Albert Uster Imports New York.  Not cheap either, but I just love it.  I have used Massa Ticino Carma which is very nice as well as mentioned above.  It also must be ordered - I have never seen it in a retail store, but I could be wrong about that.  I tried them side by side and they both handle beautifully and taste great.  I can't remember why I chose to stick with the Grischuna - I think it is that Albert Uster is a wonderful company and it arrives in 2 days without fail.  i also think I liked the flavor a teensy bit better (it tastes like those Brach white nougat candies with the little gels in them that they probably don't make any more).  I eat it right out of the bucket!  Either one is wonderful.  I use satin ice and Wilton for covering cake boards because I don't like how they taste at all. Just can't imagine buying the best ingredients and pouring my heart and soul into a cake and not using a great fondant 

CAKEMASTER1A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKEMASTER1A Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 11

I JUST USED THE MASSA TICINO CARMA ITS ALRIGHT BUT OMG I GO T THE PASTA DAMA FROM CASELLA FOODS IT WAS ALMOST HALF THE PRICE AND A SUPERIOR PRODUCT IN EVERY WAY THE TASTE WAS GREAT COLOR SPOT ON AND SUCH A PLEASURE TO WORK WITH SUPER EXCITED THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS GUYS :)))))))))))))relaxed.png

*Last edited by CAKEMASTER1A on 17 Aug 2015 , 8:07pm
deuceofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deuceofcakes Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 11

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING? 

CAKEMASTER1A why don't you post the cake you made with the Pasta Dama so we can see it?  What color did you use? 

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 1:49am
post #7 of 11

I am not a fondant person but when I have to use it I prefer Fondx taste over Satin Ice.  I have just lately sampled a new fondant that a pretty prominent cake figure has been advertising.  It comes from Great Britain but is being sold here in the US.  The taste is incredible and the workability outstanding.  It has the high quality of a professional fondant but a novice price.  The sight to find it is https://www.nicholaslodge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=renshaw&x=0&y=0

Shockolata Posted 18 Aug 2015 , 11:17am
post #8 of 11

@TheresaCarol  unfortunately Renshaw has messed up their recipe and the fondant melts, especially in summer! I noticed a huge difference between last year and this year. Flavour remains agreeable, though. Maybe someone more experienced than  me would be able to fix the fondant consistency but I blame it on palm oil.

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 12:56am
post #9 of 11

What a bummer, didn't know that was an issue because I just came across it.  Thanks for the information Shockolata.

Shockolata Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 7:57am
post #10 of 11

@TheresaCarol  buy a small packet and test it. It may be sold with a different composition abroad due to different regulations or may behave differently in your weather conditions. Maybe I should have chilled it prior to working with it. I like their flower paste much better. 

Janine D Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janine D Posted 19 Aug 2015 , 9:58am
post #11 of 11

Anyone ever tried Zeelandia?  Just LOVE the stuff - you should try and get hold of some, is fantabulous :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%