How To Do This With Fondant??

Decorating By cakeflake80 Updated 29 Jul 2015 , 9:53pm by cakeflake80

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone! Can anyone tell me the easiest way to do the dripping icing look in fondant? On the top part of the top tier, where it looks like the white is dripping onto the yellow? I typically always use buttercream on my cakes, and I've attempted this technique with buttercream on a few dripping ice cream/candy themed cakes, but I've never been %100 satisfied with the results. My first thought was to cut out a circle a few inches larger in diameter than the cake, but are the 'drips' just cut freehanded? If so, how do I get them to look so nice? Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions! 55b9274e68879.jpeg

3 replies
dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 4

That is exactly right. I have done this before. Just roll out your circle and free hand the drips (drips are rarely uniform) and then take your tool and smooth the edges. It is really not nearly as daunting as you think. :-) HTH

prettycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycupcake Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 4

25661044-flowing-down-paint-yellow-isolated-template-vector-illustration.jpg Here is a template...print it out and just go around the circle and cut :) 

Hope this helps..


cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both so much! I have always avoided it and just used buttercream because it seems daunting, but hopefully it just seems that way. The buttercream has never turned out 100% to my liking, so I have to try the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%