Cream Pie Recipe Help :)

Baking By Webake2gether Updated 23 Aug 2015 , 10:28pm by Webake2gether

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 11

A friend of mine asked me to make a coconut cream pie for her husband (his birthday is in September)so over the weekend I tried my hand at making a banana cream pie for practice and it just didn't turn out at all like i had hoped. I read the comments on the recipe and they all suggested cooking longer so I did and it seemed to thicken but as soon as we poured it into the crust it was like soup :( It never set up right. I made a peanut butter pie with essentially the same homemade custard and it set up fine. My husband said he thinks it's need cornstarch in it. Any suggestions on how to make this set up or does anyone recommend a better recipe that doesn't require standing at the stove for an hour stirring lol? 

DIRECTIONS

1. Have baked 9-inch pie shell ready.
  2. In a large saucepan, scald the milk.
  3. In another saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt; gradually stir in the scalded milk.
  4. Over medium heat, stirring constantly, cook until thickened.
  5. Cover and, stirring occasionally, cook for two minutes longer.
  6. In a small bowl, have the 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten, ready; stir a small amount of the hot mixture into beaten yolks; when thoroughly combined, stir yolks into hot mixture.
  7. Cook for one minute longer, stirring constantly.
  8. Remove from heat and blend in the butter and vanilla.
  9. Let sit until lukewarm.
  10. When ready to pour, slice bananas and scatter in pie shell; pour warm mixture over bananas.
  11. If desired, make a meringue (you'll have 3 leftover egg whites) to top the pie, or just let the pie cool until serving.

10 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 11

I agree it needs something.  All you have to thicken it is flour and egg yolks.  Normally when I suspect I'll need some extra thickening (usually in my cobblers) I'll sprinkle a packet or even two of gelatin over it before doing the top crust and baking.  But that's my personal preference - I can't stand runny cobbler insides.

Then again, you have 3 cups of milk for one pie. That's a lot of liquid to fit into one pie crust, along with the eggs, butter and vanilla. I don't believe I have any recipes that call for that much. I would try it with 2 or 2 1/2 at the very most.

Webake2gether Posted 22 Jul 2015 , 2:20am
post #3 of 11

Thanks!!! I'm going to find my peanut butter pie recipe and compare it as well to see how much liquid it calls for. I will definitely reduce  the amount of milk and try again. I thought that it would be too much custard for the pie crust but it filled it perfectly I was really surprised. I did learn that I can make meringue at least :) 

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 22 Jul 2015 , 2:54am
post #4 of 11

I love food.com for recipe search. I am not a fan of CC pie, but I love the recipes by "kittencal". I love that bakers can comment back on them. 

Search for CCpie and it will list them by the number of recommendations. Her recipe looks good in proportions and used cocnut extract too. Must be very coconutty. Check it out.

Webake2gether Posted 22 Jul 2015 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 11

Food.com  is where this recipe came from. I usually use allrecipes.com but couldn't find one that didn't use instant pudding in it. I just looked at my peanut butter pie recipe and it calls for 4 cups milk divided and 1/2 cup cornstarch. The process is different so I may try to adapt the cream pie recipe to the instructions of the peanut butter pie recipe. That's usually how I do recipes the ingredients from one or two and the instructions from another lol. I will also look at the recipe on here. Thank you so much for sharing. I'm bound and determined to make a beautifully delicious coconut cream pie at least once :) 

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 22 Jul 2015 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 11

Maybe you should try this one by Lisa Schroeder from the Mother's Best restaurant (via Fine Cooking).

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/coconut-cream-pie.aspx

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 22 Jul 2015 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 11

Meant to say "Mother's Bistro". I have the Mother's Best cookbook and that's what I always remember.

Webake2gether Posted 22 Jul 2015 , 6:25pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you for sharing that is the consistency of filling I'm looking for :) I'll definitely use my pie crust recipe and make a meringue. With that recipe there is more than enough egg whites left over. Good thing is I have plenty of time to test all sorts if different options and find the perfect one. 

Dzrt-Bkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dzrt-Bkr Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 2:15am
post #9 of 11

I would switch the flour with 1/4 cup cornstarch......add and extra yolk

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 2:31am
post #10 of 11

This is my vanilla custard recipe. It's sets up to a slice-able pie.  I think the whole eggs and cornstarch is what makes it firm.

3/4 Cup granulated sugar

3T. cornstarch

1/4 t. kosher salt

2 large eggs

1 large egg yolk

2 cups milk

3T. unsalted butter

1 t. vanilla

Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan.  Add the eggs and egg yolk and whisk to combine.  Add the milk and whisk again about 30 seconds.  Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until mixture reaches approximately 180 degrees 5-10 minutes.  remove from heat and whisk in butter 1 piece at a time making sure each in incorporated before adding the next.  Add vanilla extract.  Transfer to smaller container and cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 2 hours.

Webake2gether Posted 23 Aug 2015 , 10:28pm
post #11 of 11

I got my great grandma's recipe from my grandma and im pretty sure it set up yay!!! I'm learning with cream pies patience is key :) hopefully it turns out good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%