Help!!! 4 Tiered Round Offset Wedding Cake

Decorating By Nina2541 Updated 14 Jun 2015 , 1:13pm by -K8memphis

Nina2541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nina2541 Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 6:54am
post #1 of 3

Hi, I'm really hoping someone can help me with this. I have searched high and low for the method of this with no luck.

I am doing a 4 tiered offset wedding cake with 12" 10" 8" layers and a 6" half ball on top. I'm worried about getting the structure of this right so it doesn't collapse. How many dowels would you suggest? I'm planning on using the hollow plastic ones. And what would be the best placement. The cakes will be 4" Madeira cakes with buttercream and jam covered in fondant. 

Reallu hope someone can help me! It's my first wedding cake!!!

2 replies
CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 11:56am
post #2 of 3

--------§Google 

making a 4 tiered cake.  It is there.

Make a small cake to practice.

I use bubble tea straws in 5-6 tiered cakes.  See my cake pictures.

I use 5 to 9 straws per tier as the tiers get bigger.  I will use regular straws to hold up a 4 or 6 inch cake.  

Again I use 5 straws on the little cakes.  

Just make sure everything is level.  You will be fine!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 3

yes since it's offset just center the dowel under where the cakes actually rest not equidistant from the edges like usual (well even though it's your first one i mean as is usually done for non offset tiers) the parts that are jutting out will be resting on secure boards -- like foam core so they won't bend at all --

your mindset is that you are building a structure where the cake is placed to hold the dowel upright -- see what i mean? you are building a house of cards, fitted with dowel for support filled with cake

no worries

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%