Pastillage Help

Decorating By lkern777 Updated 10 Jun 2015 , 12:40am by lkern777

lkern777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkern777 Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 5

I am making an electric guitar and I am using pastillage for the first time. I am making the neck out of it.

I used a Yener's way tutorial for making the neck and didn't have a long enough dowel for the  full length of it. After 2 days of drying, I went to start painting it and it broke where the dowel ended.

I started over and got a longer dowel, but now I have lost 2 days of drying time. Can I put it in the oven with just the light on like I do with gumpaste sometimes to help it dry faster? The neck of the guitar is almost 1/2" thick, so 2 days will probably be enough for me to be able to paint it, but it won't be completely dry. The one that broke was still pretty  soft in the middle, but where the dowel was, was strong enough to handle.

4 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, you can do the oven light trick for pastillage. I've done it, works the same as gumpaste.

lkern777 Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you! Going in there now!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 5

Did everything dry ok??

lkern777 Posted 10 Jun 2015 , 12:40am
post #5 of 5

It definitely dried better than the first one I tried. I am letting it dry until tomorrow before I try to paint it. I doinked around with it a little while ago and it is holding up well.

I haven't kept it in the oven all this time though. I put it in for a few hours and then I had to leave the house. I didn't want to leave it while I was gone. I am waiting for the oven to cool back down after cooking dinner to put it back in for a few more hours.

I'll send you a picture when I am done with it this weekend. I appreciate your quick response to my question yesterday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%