Customer Pickup-Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By stephsweetreats Updated 7 Jun 2015 , 1:36pm by stephsweetreats

stephsweetreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephsweetreats Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 8

I have a three tiered 50th wedding anniversary cake to make next weekend.  It will have separator columns between the middle and top tier so the bottom and middle tier will be boxed together and the top tier will be on its own in another box for the customer to add at the party.  The worry I have is that the person REALLY wants roses and since I won't have time to make them I ordered some great priced ones from wholesale sugar flowers.  The plan was to put an arrangement on the top tier (the one boxed on it's own) and a few scattered on the other two tiers.  

I know gumpaste flowers are usually the last thing added to a cake but the customer is picking up the cake.  I cannot deliver it because I have a wedding delivery to do at that time. (and I am sole owner and baker of my bakery)  Do you think the flowers will survive?  Has anyone had a customer pickup a cake with flowers already on it before?  The cake is buttercream will the gumpaste flowers get soft or anything if on there too long? (I saw that in another post on here)

Thanks in advance for the input!

7 replies
eaamckenzie14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eaamckenzie14 Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 8

Hi I don't know much about customer pick up as I am a home baker, and when I usually bake I am the one to drop the cake off. But I think this is what you should do in that scenario and this is what I would do also. I would explain to the customer the delicacy of the flowers and the cake and tell them they should drive slowly. I would also have something for them to sign stating that you are not responsible for cake after it leaves your shop. That should be on all your receipts anyways jus like your store policy because I have know of people to mess cakes up when they leave and then think the baker should be held responsible for their mishaps. Some times they do it to get money back or a discount for services. 

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 8

They will be fine. 

stephsweetreats Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you jmt1714 and eaamckensie14!  eaamckensie14 I have that in wedding contracts but will definitely print something and post it in my shop.  I recently had a customer damage a cake and since I didn't want them saying anything bad (even though I knew it was their fault) I refunded them the decorating fee.  I should have taken that as a sign to post something.  I will for sure do it now.  Thanks!

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 3:52am
post #5 of 8

Yes, I have read many horror stories of cake customers picking up cakes who don't take you serious when you tell them to drive carefully. When they have a mishap many will blame you for their careless driving.  I hope all goes well with this cake!!  Very good advice given about when cake leaves you that you are not responsible for any mishaps!! 

sugarpixy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarpixy Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 4:27am
post #6 of 8

I always deliver the cakes fully decorated and the flowers are fine with the buttercream.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 11:57am
post #7 of 8

Won't be an issue. Had gum paste on bc, in and out of the fridge. They don't melt.

stephsweetreats Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you remnant3333, sugarpixy, and julia1812!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%