Need Advice On Cake Topper

Decorating By SoniaMT Updated 4 Jun 2015 , 12:52am by Frank68

SoniaMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniaMT Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 12:33am
post #1 of 15

Hey Guys, Ok so Im making a cake for my Godchild this week and she is turning 4. I wanted to make the number 4 stick up on the top of the cake and have it be kind of big. I don't know the best way to do this. Im thinking using gum paste or fondant to make the number 4 and some how glue it on a stick and push it into the cake.  I also thought of doing chocolate mold number 4 and standing it up on the cake but the cake is fondant and I don't know if it will hold since the chocolate will be heavy. Any suggestions? And how do I make sure if I use fondant that it will be stiff hard and dry...how many days before should I make the number? Thanks!

14 replies
TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 12:29pm
post #2 of 15

Gum paste or fondant with tylose rolled very thin would only take a day to dry if there was no humidity.  I think this would be better than the chocolate because of the weight.  If you have a couple of days, I would make a couple of numbers in case one of them broke.  I would make little square pieces of the same gum paste/fondant to glue to the top of the sticks then glue the number to the top of the squares.  

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 15

I normally do numbers with fondant or gum paste by inserting a bamboo skewer into them , let it dry and then insert the skewer into the cake. If you want something light (although I don't see any issues with a  fondant number 4 crushing the cake ) you could pipe one with royal icing.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 15

Wasn't done yet...

pipe it with royal icing, let it dry and attach it upright on the fondant using ri as glue.

SoniaMT Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks guys! I'm going to make it tonight to give it plenty of time to dry. 

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 15

You could also cut the number out of a foam core board and cover that in fondant and poke a skewer through the bottom. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 15

i pipe pate choux and bake it -- works great -- light weight -- you can make a bunch in case of breakage no worries -- just stick a toothpick in it to attach

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 15

or spaghetti

SoniaMT Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 10:12pm
post #9 of 15

@k8Memphis.  Thanks...that is an interesting method! 

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 10:49pm
post #10 of 15

i don't know why this is not used more - i've written out entire names to stand up on top of a cake - and I did a whole bible verse - it's fool proof - makes great scrolls -

best to you

SoniaMT Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 11:59pm
post #11 of 15

@k8Memphis.  Do you happen to have a recipe on how to make pate choux? How long do you bake?

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 12:10am
post #12 of 15

i'm going by memory then i'll double  check see how close i got --

• 1 cup water
  • 1 little salt
  • 1 stick butter

bring just to a boil -- then add

• 1 cup flour all at once and stir

till it forms a ball remove from heat -- put it in mixer -- add

• 4 eggs one at a time beating well between each egg

then i bake at 325 - 400 depending on what i'm doing -- just bake it till it's done -- it's one of those especially if you're making lettering

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 12:11am
post #13 of 15

and i did double check -- i got it right :)

SoniaMT Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 12:45am
post #14 of 15

Thanks!!!! This is great I'm going to give it a try! 

Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 12:52am
post #15 of 15

All of my numbers are done by loading up my word processor, using a nice font and size, and then printing it. I cut out the silhouette with scissors and superimpose that on top of gumpaste rolled out to about 1/4 inch. I trace the outline with an x-acto knife and then i let it dry overnight, turning a few times when I get the chance. I usually make sure that my number is at LEAST 4 inches high. 

Frank

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%